Skin cancer

Started by BigJimbo, July 15, 2015, 10:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJimbo

Hey all,
I know this is off fishing but then again because of being outdoors and especially on the water we are all subject to skin problems. Use sunscreen! I was diagnosed with skin cancer last month and will have several procedures (MOHS) in August to remove all the cancerous cells, I pray.
I always look at the dark skin blotches on my arms and face earned from 30 years in Southern California on the beach, in the pool, in a boat, etc. And we never used sun screen. Coppertone was for girls and the tough ones used baby oil.
Well I'm paying for it now and it was a tiny little black spot on the bridge of my nose. It came on quickly so I knew something was up. Get yourselves checked out , preferably by a doctor or at least by a spouse or someone that can stand looking at you naked.
Oh, did I mention, Use sunscreen!
Jimbo

Reel 224

I'm glad you did bring this up Jimbo because I have some spots on my forearms where I have Tat-too that I have to have looked at. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

sorry to hear that amigo, best of luck with your precedures and recovery, good think that you discovered the strange black spot on your nose quickly thats the best you can do to fight cancer.

I have been always paranoic on the skin cancer since my father in law was diasnosed few years ago but after some procedures and creams he was 100% free of cancerous cells in some months, I always use high SPF sunscreen, fishing shirts with SPF, hat and fishing facemask with SPF.

The Baja Guy

fsrmn

In addition to the protective clothing and sunscreen, Don't forget the fishing gloves also. I have had basil cell, squasel cell and melanoma. Luckily the melanoma was a stage zero which means it hadn't fully penetrated the skin yet. They cut a 3" football out of my forearm to remove the spot about the size of a half grain of rice. I go to a dermatologist every 4 months for a full body scan and they freeze anything that looks suspicious. They told me to warn my kids because it is inherited.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

BigJimbo

Quote from: fsrmn on July 16, 2015, 01:02:50 AM
  In addition to the protective clothing and sunscreen, Don't forget the fishing gloves also. I have had basil cell, squasel cell and melanoma. Luckily the melanoma was a stage zero which means it hadn't fully penetrated the skin yet. They cut a 3" football out of my forearm to remove the spot about the size of a half grain of rice. I go to a dermatologist every 4 months for a full body scan and they freeze anything that looks suspicious. They told me to warn my kids because it is inherited.
Thanks for the replies and all the advice. I've been looking into some clothing with SPF- hard to find when your 6'6" without breaking the bank- Columbia Sportswear has good selection and I've found a few shirts at Salvation army store for a few bucks. Bought some SPF50 Coppertone, gotta apply with a trowel but I use it if I know I'll be in the sun for a while.
Had an art show last weekend and the coordinator got me a spot on the shady side of a building and I bought a QuickShade so it worked out great. And I sold 2 pieces of art!

Reel 224

Good to hear things are going well Jimbo I have purchased SPF clothing from Cloumbia and I am very pleased with there clothing, I'm a 4X guy and there stuff has lots of room, but I'm only 6' tall but weigh 360# more like a Line backer with a gut. ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

Quote from: BigJimbo on July 15, 2015, 10:04:39 PM
Hey all,
I know this is off fishing but then again because of being outdoors and especially on the water we are all subject to skin problems. Use sunscreen! I was diagnosed with skin cancer last month and will have several procedures (MOHS) in August to remove all the cancerous cells, I pray.
I always look at the dark skin blotches on my arms and face earned from 30 years in Southern California on the beach, in the pool, in a boat, etc. And we never used sun screen. Coppertone was for girls and the tough ones used baby oil.
Well I'm paying for it now and it was a tiny little black spot on the bridge of my nose. It came on quickly so I knew something was up. Get yourselves checked out , preferably by a doctor or at least by a spouse or someone that can stand looking at you naked.
Oh, did I mention, Use sunscreen!
Jimbo

I'm in my 60's but my father and his sisters (in their 80's) have had many surgeries with great outcomes.

My Aunt's use the Coppertone or Baby Oil mixed with Iodine for their movie star tan..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

I recently went fishing with my son.  We rubbed ourselves with #30 Banana Boat sunscreen.  We were wearing shorts.  Not unusual for him but I usually won't show off my albino Chihuahua legs for any reason, lol.
To make a short story long, he got a nice even burn all over his calves.  Mine look like someone slapped my legs with a pink paint brush in weird patterns. We apparently didn't re-apply often enough to prevent the burning.  My face and neck which are in the sun daily only hurt a lot!
There has been no end to the grief we are getting from my wife.  I have to remind her that we did not do it on purpose.
I'm sure we have used a quart of aloe vera so far.
I am going to be a lot more careful. I don't like pain and working with jeans rubbing on sunburn is going to be kind of tough tomorrow.
I had taken a hat with a neck flap and forgot where it was.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

steelfish

Quote from: Rancanfish on July 29, 2015, 09:18:58 PM
I recently went fishing with my son.  We rubbed ourselves with #30 Banana Boat sunscreen.  We were wearing shorts.  Not unusual for him but I usually won't show off my albino Chihuahua legs for any reason, lol.
To make a short story long, he got a nice even burn all over his calves.  Mine look like someone slapped my legs with a pink paint brush in weird patterns. We apparently didn't re-apply often enough to prevent the burning.  My face and neck which are in the sun daily only hurt a lot!
There has been no end to the grief we are getting from my wife.  I have to remind her that we did not do it on purpose.
I'm sure we have used a quart of aloe vera so far.
I am going to be a lot more careful. I don't like pain and working with jeans rubbing on sunburn is going to be kind of tough tomorrow.
I had taken a hat with a neck flap and forgot where it was.

take a look to this thread, nice tips from many members

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13921.msg141538#msg141538

The Baja Guy

Mac53

Tilly hat, neck/face buff, 1/2 finger gloves, full sleeve shirt and everything 50+ spf.  Whatever flesh is showing gets SOL Sunguard Bluewater 36 uva/uvb Sunguard.  That's how I roll!

Mac