Brand New Baja Special

Started by Rivverrat, July 16, 2015, 10:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I received my brand new Baja Special today. I am completely awe struck & floored.
Some of you here had been telling me repeatedly this was the reel for my 60-80 lb. line fishing needs for big cats. I listened but didnt really pay much attention to what was being said. I have to admit I was one of those that had thoughts of newer is always better. This reel shows very clearly that is not always the case...... I had to find my own way.

A reel that can easily produce 20 lbs. of drag & more "EVERY DAY"  with out the on going need for bearing replacement & other parts. All for under $300. A complete & possibly otherwise non existent thing today....WOW!

johndtuttle

Heheh  ;D.

You now have probably the toughest yet simplest reel ever made. If you do a pre-fishing service the dogs are a little balancy to get back on and be sure to well grease the bearing under the gear sleeve.

After that it has a number of refinements over the tank project that are well worthwhile to make it crank smoother under load and even for casting. Extra bearings in the handle and a disengaging pinion.

Probably my only quibble is the Ratchet is a little finicky (but most never have trouble) and the handle could be one "notch" longer.

Great reels. Lifetime purchase right there.  ;)

The one reel you can buy that can literally do it all.

STRIPER LOU

You'll be very happy with that reel. Its like a 113h on Super Steroids. I have 2 and fished them very hard with no issues. Ya made the right choice!!!!
........................Lou

steelfish

I know how you feel broda'

I was after a Baja special since many months ago and finally got one, not a brand new but really well taken care of, and Im pretty sure that will all the tips and knowleage from the many gurus here I will keep it in perfect conditions for many years more.

good thing is that with the new US senator the Baja parts gain a lot of years of parts supply.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Steelfish, you do know the 113 US made is the same thing? Just different cosmetically. Charkbait had this one, actually 2 of these original Baja's but none of the newer model in stock. So I'll make this one my heavier set up. It will be easy to tell it apart from my from the other 2 being new models I will eventually get. I will fish them with 60 lb. line.

Have to say the 113 is much smaller than I remember. Really thought this would be a bigger reel. I'm actually very happy about that....Jeff

steelfish

yep,   I knew it, that why I said the spare parts for the baja will be available for long time, specially the guts are identical, exterior just different color

good thing that you got a brand new one in box
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Weird that Charkbait had it. I asked if it was part of the large batch that Mark bought years ago from Penn back when the model was being discontinued & was told it was not.   2 of these original Baja's just happened to come in with a regular, recent shipment.

Hard to describe just how impressed I am with this reel. So much smoother in operation than I had imagined it would be.
While I have not caught any thing on it I have been playing around & testing it out. A lot of times when I do this a reel will reveal it's weakness. Not anything of the sort with this one. Is it perfect? No way! But it is as close as I have yet to come for a reel for my every day needs for big catfish.