brake block maintenance

Started by mike1010, July 17, 2015, 07:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010

On contemporary Ambassadeurs, should the shafts on which the brake blocks slide be lubricated?  What about the race for the brake blocks in the side plate?  Thanks.

Mike

Bryan Young

I don't know if its right or wrong, but I apply a drop of TSI321 then wipe off.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 17, 2015, 08:34:21 PM
I don't know if its right or wrong, but I apply a drop of TSI321 then wipe off.

Both the post and the race, Bryan?

Bryan Young

yes, both post and the race (ring).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

exp2000

Quote from: mike1010 on July 17, 2015, 07:40:54 PM
On contemporary Ambassadeurs, should the shafts on which the brake blocks slide be lubricated?  What about the race for the brake blocks in the side plate?  Thanks.

Mike

The posts need to be clean so the blocks can traverse freely. The cast control ring needs to be clean also. While it is a controlled friction surface, any corrosion will unduly impede spool rotation.

The cast control ring should not be lubricated as doing so will modify it's performance characteristics requiring re-tuning of the cast control mechanism. Not sure how much impact TSI would have though.

foakes

Quote from: exp2000 on July 18, 2015, 08:53:09 AM
Quote from: mike1010 on July 17, 2015, 07:40:54 PM

Mike

The posts need to be clean so the blocks can traverse freely. The cast control ring needs to be clean also. While it is a controlled friction surface, any corrosion will unduly impede spool rotation.

The cast control ring should not be lubricated as doing so will modify it's performance characteristics requiring re-tuning of the cast control mechanism. Not sure how much impact TSI would have though.

The system is designed to be operated without lubrication --------clean, dry.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

johndtuttle

Sometimes the mechanism can develop some "howl" or squeaks and then the race can be cleaned with a penetrating oil (ie corrosion-x or tsi). Same for the posts that the brakes ride on.

Remnants of the oil are quickly gone from the race due to the scrubbing nature of the brakes and it returns to "clean and dry" function very quickly.

mike1010

I buy the "run it dry" approach.  It is probably the simplest way to achieve a known coefficient of friction, at least on a reel in the right condition.  But here's something interesting:  Shimano wants oil on the brake blocks of their round reels:  http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/customer-service/reel-maintenance-instructions/_jcr_content/bodycontent/download_1/downloadFile/file.res/Maintenance%20Tips-%20Round%20Baitcasting%20Reels%20.pdf

johndtuttle

Quote from: mike1010 on July 19, 2015, 08:24:21 PM
I buy the "run it dry" approach.  It is probably the simplest way to achieve a known coefficient of friction, at least on a reel in the right condition.  But here's something interesting:  Shimano wants oil on the brake blocks of their round reels:  http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/customer-service/reel-maintenance-instructions/_jcr_content/bodycontent/download_1/downloadFile/file.res/Maintenance%20Tips-%20Round%20Baitcasting%20Reels%20.pdf

What it does is clean the race when you cast the reel. The oil is soon gone.