US113 Handle Going Backwards

Started by Rivverrat, July 18, 2015, 12:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Well I sent my Baja back to Penn on the 29th & today I get an UPS email that a package that weighs 3.00 lbs. is coming my way from Penn.  They offered the possibility of replacing the reel with the newer US113 which I agreed would be fine.  So in light of the very quick response I'm assuming that is what Penn has done. Will post what ever the outcome...Jeff

steelfish

I would have kept the Baja instead, but I respect your choice.
There is something about the real old school stance and colors of the reel That IMHO look better That the "New reel look" of the US113 senator
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Steelfish, your reasoning is why when Beta at Charkbait said they had 2 Baja's  I went with that verses the newer model. Something about the personality of having the older model. On the other hand I personally like the looks of the US113 better.

The only reels I am starting to like any where close to this Penn model for the fishing I do is the Okuma Andros 12 & the Mak 8 & 10. The Andros 12 with it's weight, line capacity & drag  may become my favorite reel. It needs a bit more time & fish caught before I can confidently bestow that title on it.   I have honestly abused mine & it has yet to balk or talk back....Jeff

Rivverrat

Package from Penn arrived today.
The cross bars on the frame of this new US113 model appear thicker than what was on my Baja. On a personal level, I like the looks of the US113 much better than the Baja.

I'll be taking a look at it's innards tonight. Giving the ratchet gear a close look. I think Penn did well regarding this issue .  Very  quickly taking care of my situation. I'm very happy with Penn's handling of this.

I am very intrigued & quite taken with this reel ....Jeff  

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I believe Penn did a great job handling your situation.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

beautiful reel.

great job on penn guys handling this situation.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

This reel puts out a bit more drag than the prior Baja. The Baja didn't take as many turns of the star to achieve the setting I used it at. More than likely nothing more than common manufacturing variance on a reel to reel bases. Don't for see any issues with this reel based on the service others have had & believing my issue was mostly a fluke. It's late & I have a bike I need to get running before tomorrow. So I wont get to to take a look at the inside of this reel tonight. Again I don't believe Penn could have done any better taking care of this!....Jeff

foakes

Great, Jeff --

Once again, Penn demonstrates a lot of class -- and no drama.

Good company -- doing it right.

If it were mine, I would partially break it down -- inspect the interior -- post some pics of the ratchet/dogs/ springs assembly for everyone -- then do a pre-fish service, just so you are confident everything is greased, oiled, not over-tightened or loose anywhere.  Making sure the drags have the proper grease you prefer, etc..

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Fred, I most diffidently will be taking a look at the interior of this reel & posting pics of the of the ratchet & dogs. All prior to using it. I will say this reel came with all frame screws & foot well greased. Hope to get inside it tonight.This is truly a great reel!...Jeff

steelfish

weird that penn used a straigh handle on the US senator 113hn and not the curved handle as the one used on the Baja Special

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

This reel was lubed a bit better than some Penn Reels Ive looked at in the past. All side plate screws had at least a lite covering of grease.  For those that may not know. You can click on pics wait a second or two & they will increase in size for a better view. There will be a slide bar at bottom of pic after it's enlarged that enables you to line up pics.

Rivverrat

Everything inside & outside that needed it was greased or had a film of grease covering it.

Rivverrat

The all important ratchet gear in this real looks much better than the one in the prior Baja.

Rivverrat

Like I said everything was pretty well greased so I didn't take the reel down all the way.