HD reel Bearing Removers

Started by Whit, January 02, 2011, 01:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Folks:

I thought I'd share a couple tricks on bearing pullers I've figured out over the years for larger bearings such as on the internationals.

"Level 1, KISS".  I use a metal paint can opener from Home Depot.  I'ts got a stout 90% notch at the business end that tucks neatly underneath a bearing as it is nestled into its retainer on the sideplate.  The handle is a triangle shaped ring that you can get a finger into to put some real torque on the thing as you pull the bearing out.

"Level II, Double down". For real problem bearings you can put two of these same paint can openers back-to-back with the notches facing 180 degrees from each other tucked under the bearing on opposite sides.  In this situation I'll slip a section of thin rubber tubing sideways between them as a springy fulcrum to keep the notches from coming unhooked as I pull on the handles.

"Level III, the Force". To put manners on a truly obstinate bearing, I have a chain with an s-hook hanging from the rafters.  Using the back-to-back paint can bearing puller tool method per level II then hang both paint can openers on the s-hook and use my body weight to pull on the sideplate.  Seems to work when all else fails!

Warmly

Whit

Fishead

I've been using the exact same thing for a while now,works like a champ.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

franky

Okay,  

I went to Home Depot last night to get a couple of paint cans for the finish up of my garage.  I saw the paint can opener and yes.....ahhh....I got the idea.  ;D  

The paint can opener is a thick metal object with a triangle handle.  The opposite side is flattened out like a flat head screwdriver.  I guess you just got to bend the tip 90 degrees like how Alan did with the penn screw driver.  And yes, with that triangle handle, you have quite a bit of ability to torque on the bearing, especially with your finger in there helping to hold on.

However, like Whit mentioned, it would work on the bigger size bearings because the flattened side of the can opener is quite wide.  I guess I could take a dremmel and cut, or shall I say trim down the sides to get a thinner sized 90 degree flat end to fit the smaller size bearings for penn and newell reels.

Another option would be to use the 90 degree bent penn screwdriver like Alan has and screw it to a big wooden handle.  I don't know....I guess anything to add leverage or give you that added fat extra grip to help put the pressure when pulling on the bearing.  If I just hold the flat penn screw driver with my bare hand, it hurts!  Mount it to a big fat wooden handle, or having that triangle end of the home depot paint can opener and now you're talking business.  ;D

Thanks for sharing....