Started by Shark Hunter, July 20, 2015, 07:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I have been after one of these for some time. I found a decent deal on one that wasn't completely trashed as they usually are. They stopped making these in the mid fifty's which makes a nice one hard to find. Bryan's narrowed one is a really good one. Not to copy, I went my own way.

I thought about just leaving it stock, but I have so many parts just from being here and not being able to help myself. I pulled out all the stops. Black Pearl spacer bars, spacer, ss sleeve and dog, handle options are a challenge. I am beginning not to be a fan of the round handles. I had a nice Black one from Lou, I snapped the screws off on both ends trying to mate it to one of Adam's arms.
It is amusing going through some ones else's so called refurb. A felt washer under the sleeve? New drag stack, completely dry. Very little grease on any of the moving parts. I took care of that. Removed the rings as well and greased them as they should be.

I settled on an old power handle I found in the depths of my parts box.

259, AlanTani Style. ;)

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice job on that vintage beauty Daron. About that felt washer for under the gear, that is actually a Penn product, some of the older reels had those. If you look under the gear sleeve, there should be a grove for it, yours looks in pretty good shape, so there is a chance that someone has changed it along the way..
How do you like the machining of those spacer bars? That narrow next to it could also use them.
Thanks for sharing bud.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Nice work Daron. I saw my first 259 last week and it was a new one a guy had that I rebuilt a vintage two piece rod for. Nice little reels.

coastal_dan

Nice!  Ready for another few decades of fishing.  I just did a 109m that had a felt washer under the sleeve, but the sleeve was notched to have the washer fit up into it (just like Sal said).

Thanks for sharing.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

That's a great reel you have there.

And don't let me stop you from copying me. I don't mind if it fits your fishing style. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

reelrepair123

nice work  daron,   reel turned out beautiful, enjoy using it, have fun.  it's nice therapy and very rewarding when you take on a project and the end  results are very satisfying,  take care my friend.    harryk