Bassin Today!!!!

Started by STRIPER LOU, July 21, 2015, 06:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Good tide this am. Not perfect but OK. Lots of blues. Out by myself and first fish in the boat was A big blue, 17 1/2 lbs. Sent it back. About 8 or nine more to follow. UGH! All returned. Marking some big girls by a boulder pile but they ain't chewin.  Tried different plugs, different colors, different directions but NADA. Gave them a break for a while and went back to the spot. Still 3 or 4 there but not chewin. BIG, BIG marks on the screen. Excited and frustrated! Thought I'd wait till slack tide and try the old tube n worm. I've had very good luck during slack with the homemade tubes. Picked up a couple short bass in the meantime and one keeper and sent them back.

I had made a mini umbrella rig the other day. Don't really like fishing them but they do work well when there's lots of small bait around. Natural color tubes and I dyed the ends dark red.
Put a 2 foot leader on the center swivel and attached a silver slope head swimmer with white belly. The whole rig looked really good in the water!
Back to the spot again and they're still there. First pass NADA. Second pass from a different angle and Wham! This fish had me down to the backing in seconds and it definitely wanted off. Down to the backing twice and finally got her turned. Powerful runs and I thought to myself its got to be a 50. In the boat after 20 minutes and she's a beauty. Put her on the scale and its 45lbs and a few ounces. Nice!
Back over the side on the boga and got the boat going slow. Tried for at least 10 minutes to get her revived but no luck. She was really spent from the fight I guess. Looks like my family and the neighbors are going to have fish barbecue tonight. Left the marina a little later than usual but pretty happy the way the morning turned out. Friday the tide will be near perfect. Looks like I'll be up at 3 am again!!!!

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Doug

Lou you have the striper thing done to a science  nice catch  Doug

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

redsetta

That's quite a fish - nice work!
Thanks for sharing Lou.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations on a beautiful fish Lou.  Your persistence on those fish is an inspiration to us all!

Randy

STRIPER LOU

Well my neighbors and our family had the big girl for supper tonight. On the grill with an open piece of foil, seasoned with lemon, black pepper, garlic powder, parsley flakes, a dusting of panko, and 2 pats of butter on each side. The fillets  were so thick I actually had to fillet them twice to thin them down. Some wild rice, fresh asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and a couple of slices of avocado and a Bass ale ..............
it just don't get any better. They said it was the best fish they had ever eaten. Have some leftover and they make great fish sandwiches on a toasted roll with cheese, L&T and tartar sauce.
I'm feelin really fat right now!!!!!!!
..................Lou

Alto Mare

Very good Lou, now cut down on that butter and use olive oil instead. That spine on that fish looked as ours didn't it?
Thanks for sharing bud.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

newport

It's hard to beat a fish sandwich (and a cold beer). I like mine fried in batter inbetween a kaiser roll. You're making me hungry.

Reel 224

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on July 22, 2015, 11:27:49 PM
Well my neighbors and our family had the big girl for supper tonight. On the grill with an open piece of foil, seasoned with lemon, black pepper, garlic powder, parsley flakes, a dusting of panko, and 2 pats of butter on each side. The fillets  were so thick I actually had to fillet them twice to thin them down. Some wild rice, fresh asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and a couple of slices of avocado and a Bass ale ..............
it just don't get any better. They said it was the best fish they had ever eaten. Have some leftover and they make great fish sandwiches on a toasted roll with cheese, L&T and tartar sauce.
I'm feelin really fat right now!!!!!!!
..................Lou

Lou you would have had to eat that fish all by yourself and then some to start to look fat. ;D Sounds like a nice end to a day of fishing, there is nothing better then fresh fish and cold beer.....except maybe more.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Fisherman Paul

1st pic, that's a huge fish, very nice.

the rockfish ninja

We've had a bumper crop of linesides this year out in the SF bay area but you guys have the big ones.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

HOLEINTHEWATER

NICE FISH. WISH THEY GOT THAT BIG AROUND HERE. YOUR ARE HAPPY IF YOU GET A ONE OVER 5 LBS. , BUT YOU CAN HAVE A 30 TO 100 FISH DAY. NO LIMITS AROUND HERE. THEY ARE IN THE LAKES HERE.