A day on PWS, AK

Started by AlasKen, July 22, 2015, 05:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

My son and I took a day off from work and went out. First time in awhile just the two of us got to go fishing. We started trolling south end of Culross pass on the East shore. Picked up a pink and a silver. Picked up and move to the south tip of the passage still on the East side. Picked up another silver trolling so decided to jig the area. Landed 2 more silvers and lost 2. Decided to explore so motored over to the West tip, picked up a cod and a rockfish. Went across to near Foul Bay and thought we would try for rockfish and see if a Ling was hanging out. Picked up our 5th silver bouncing one of Chris' Roust a Bout Jigs, blue herring off the bottom, about 75'.  These jigs have an assist hook at the top that lays just shy of the bottom of the jig.  You can bounce it all day in the rocks without catching bottom.  We lost 2 more silvers due to quick release at the side of the boat. I picked up our last one with a silver Buzz Bomb around Foul Bay as well. Sonar was marking lots of fish all day. We were trolling about 45' when we picked them up. This was my first time in this area of PWS, Culross Pass, so we were just exploring some and not just fishing to catch fish. My son had his downrigger setup with a little spoon connected to the flasher with a herring strip on a double hook. I had a slave flasher on the downrigger weight and had a Grim Reefer with a herring strip on the trailing hook. Both caught fish. I don't think we had the right setups but it still worked and we got our six in about 5 hours. Maybe not hot but a great day for us. Water was so calm we took to calling it Lake William, FAC and no wind at all. It was one of those perfect days on the water.

We were both using our Charter Specials with AT's power handles and Dawns CF drag.  For trolling I set the drag so I have about 3 lbs just before free spool.  I send it down with the drag set there and just go to strike after my downrigger reaches depth.  Makes it much easier to deal with that way.  After hook up I would usually back the drag off a little until the silver was ready to come aboard.  The more I fish them the more I like the Charter Specials.  The #3 AT handle makes it so much more enjoyable.

When just the 2 of us go out it is more relaxed as we aren't getting others set up and untangled and trying to get around people to get to geat.  When you take guests you feel you have to get on the fish and go tried and true.  With the two of us we had room to spread out, we could do our own thing.  We would swap off piloting the boat when trolling and when we wanted to see what is "over there" we just pulled up and went.  And at the end of a successful day and I want to pull out a cigar I don't get the stink eye from my daughter or wife because it stinks.  Heck yeh, a day like this only comes around very rarely.  I know, without photos it didn't happen

broschro

nice day. it is nice when you don't have to work your but off to prove yourself to the crew. good job on the fish.

Shark Hunter

Nice! Its always a good day with no Stink eye! ;D
Life is Good!

conchydong

Nice report. Love to read about fishing in locations that are vastly different than mine.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice catch. I fish a lot by myself. I only have to worry about me and truly enjoy the solitude. Your son looks happy and what could be better than a day off from work, fishing, and with family!!!!!
.........................Lou

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: conchydong on July 22, 2015, 11:10:12 PM
Nice report. Love to read about fishing in locations that are vastly different than mine.

Me too, great report and those pics look stunning to fish in,
nice session, love the cigar.

MFB

Smoking considerably shortens the length of your cigar ;D

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

AlasKen

Quote from: MFB on July 24, 2015, 07:00:14 AM
Smoking considerably shortens the length of your cigar ;D

Regards

Mark

That is a true statement that I will have to remember. <groin>  I am not a regular cigar smoker.  Probably half a dozen a year and 5 of those on the boat.  It is a great way to end the day and it also a good way to discourage the skeeters and no-see-ums that show up if you are to close to shore.  This was a bug free day so I couldn't use that excuse.  I will say that you need to be cautious if you are fishing and smoking as in the heat of the moment you can touch the mono with the ember and it is all over except the crying.  Don't ask how I know that.

Dominick

Thanks for the ride.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.