Baja Boomer for PEI Bluefin

Started by Jon Vadney, July 22, 2015, 11:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

Just got this one done.  It's sporting a set of Winthrop guides as well as the Winthrop adjustabutt.  The butt on this thing is such a nice, refined piece of equipment. 

Shark Hunter

Now that is a Cadillac! Great work on that one Jon! :P
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice Jon. Interesting design on that butt handle, I wonder if the pin would hold up on a nice fish.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 23, 2015, 01:03:31 AM
Nice Jon. Interesting design on that butt handle, I wonder if the pin would hold up on a nice fish.
Sal I don't think there would be that much pressure on the joint.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Jon Vadney

Thanks guys :)

The pin part acts solely as a pivot point and the true load is on the machined aluminum hinge. This rod is for the strongest fish that swims and I have 100% confidence in it.  

SoCalAngler

Good looking rod, nice work.

I have never heard of a "Baja Boomer" and with a 60-130 lb rating? What did you cut down another blank to make this rod?

Sorry just checked it out, seems Calstar did have a Baja Boomer

Jon Vadney

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 23, 2015, 03:45:09 AM
Good looking rod, nice work.

I have never heard of a "Baja Boomer" and with a 60-143 lb rating? What did you cut down another blank to make this rod?

Sorry just checked it out, seems Calstar did have a Baja Boomer

Yeah, the Boomer has been around since damn near the beginning of calstar.  It was one of the more popular cow rods back in the days of harnesses/plates.  The baby boomer is the classic 60# trolling stick.  PEI guys really like the boomer because it has a soft tip to absorb all of the shock involved in fishing 50#+ of drag and 200# line. 

I did have to cut the blank down to fit it in the adjustabutt ferrule.  The blank measured 5'6", then I cut it down probably 18" (ballpark), and then epoxied the ferrule on.  Finished length is 5'4" with the butt bent.

SoCalAngler

Yeah I know, or at least I thought I did, the boomer line as they are nice rods to fish out of pangas for large tuna or if you ever needed to jump into a skiff when on a LR boat. It should work well in PEI for the guys man enough to harness fish those big BFT. Don't think I'd want to do that....well maybe one time ;)

Tightlines667

I wish I had a need for a rod like that.  I have always wanted to catch a cow on standup gear from a Panga.  That and am Elk Hunting trip, are likely to remain on my bucket list.

Beautiful work Jon.  I hope someone gets the chance to put it through the paces someday.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 23, 2015, 04:12:26 AM
Yeah I know, or at least I thought I did, the boomer line as they are nice rods to fish out of pangas for large tuna or if you ever needed to jump into a skiff when on a LR boat. It should work well in PEI for the guys man enough to harness fish those big BFT. Don't think I'd want to do that....well maybe one time ;)

I'm debating about doing it next year.  Possibly.  I have my 12day LR trip as well so iono if it'll happen.

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 23, 2015, 05:03:45 AM
I wish I had a need for a rod like that.  I have always wanted to catch a cow on standup gear from a Panga.  That and am Elk Hunting trip, are likely to remain on my bucket list.

Beautiful work Jon.  I hope someone gets the chance to put it through the paces someday.

This guy has a trip that's leaving at the end of august or first week of sept (don't remember) so I'm sure it'll get bent a little bit :D

Reel 224

Great work Jon, I really love that color combo on the marbling, it makes that rod really pop. :)
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Jon, beautiful work! I've seen a lot of custom rods here on the east coast but yours are over the top!!!!!
.....................Lou

doradoben

Very nice looking rod, Jon... Doesn't it matter that it will probably be fished at a much higher drag setting than the blank was designed for?

Newell Nut

Those are cool colors Jon. Nice work.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: doradoben on July 25, 2015, 06:36:41 PM
Very nice looking rod, Jon... Doesn't it matter that it will probably be fished at a much higher drag setting than the blank was designed for?

The Baja boomer is severely underrated in terms of line rating.