Do Fish Byte Better In The Rain??

Started by gstours, July 27, 2015, 03:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

The other day a friend and I went fishing when the forecast was for rain,  Yes it still rains in the rainforests of SE Alaska!  But sometimes rain means calm waters offshore, So we went to an old haunt of mine.  We got these nice halibuts using penn 16s reels and braid, and herring on 18/0 circle hooks.   We got wet but with a top on the boat, xm radio, and a dickensen oil stove,  our suffering was minor as it was hot fishing!     Enjoy

Thats what made me ask, do fish byte better in the rain?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

FatTuna

I heard it was because animals can sense low pressure and they react to it. Low pressure means bad weather. For fish that means that the wind and waves are going to displace the bait they eat. In preparation for the future, they tend to feed before and during the storm as they may not know where to get their next meal. Evolutionary biology.... I don't know if it's true but I have noticed a pattern of getting better action before and during a storm.

Tightlines667

Nice fish.  

That looks like fun.  Had something come up and will not be able to make it up there this September...kinda bummed.  I may try for a day trip outta Sitka though.  

As far as barometric pressure's effects on fish activity goes..I think it can be a factor..demonstrating this scientifically or really explaining why is another story.  I have seen fish activity increase just prior and durring a falling barometer, and low activity during the midst of a low, and sometimes following it.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

jonnou

Reel 224

Quite a few years back me and a friend had one of the best fishing days I have ever had fishing for weak fish. It was raining so hard you could hardly see your hand in front of you and we were catching weak fish one after the other live lining spots, it was a bonanza. We actually covered the bead of my PU truck with fish. I have found it to be better fishing as well on rainy days. Moon phase and low pressure are factors for heightened fish activity.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Not me.  I'm a fair weather fisher.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on July 27, 2015, 04:19:32 PM
Not me.  I'm a fair weather fisher.  Dominick

Were talking about fish, not you.  ;D  Hope your not a fair weather friend also. ;)

I have to say, I wish I was there to catch one of those butts.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

johndtuttle

That boat doesn't look fishy at all!  ;D

SE Alaska, even aluminum hulls grow moss.  ;)

David Hall

When I lived in the great PNW the fishing was always good in the rain,  the scientific reason behind this phenomenon can be directly attributed to the fact that it was always raining, damn near everyday, so I didn't get much fishing in when it wasn't raining. It was either raining or getting ready to rain or just stopped raining.
I know the fish are already wet so the rain doesn't bother them, I on the other hand spent many days soggy, wet and freezing on the banks of the Nooksack, hauling in salmon and cutthroat trout. 

Steve-O

Nice haul, Gary!

I need to change up my regularly scheduled Prince of Wales Island, AK trip for a detoured side trip to your neck of the great Pacific Northwest woods.

Maybe fill the gas tank, put some beverages on ice in the ole trusty, rusty cooler and go kill some big butts with you.

I have made all my halibut rigs into two-piece travel rods with super duty ferrules for just such trips. ;D

Thanks for sharing again.

Could you PM me with your hali' bait of choice, please?

I would guess it's not just plain ole herring on a circle hook.

Steve