Pro gear 255 updating the gear sleeve to stainless steel

Started by fish4, July 31, 2015, 02:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish4

I have a question, I have a pro gear 255 and was reading all the posts on the upgrades that can be done for it. I bought a stainless steel gear sleeve for the 1st upgrade but when I put it on I couldn't get the pin to go back in. The sleeve is for the 505 jigmaster did I get the wrong one. When I get it in part way the sleeve binds up on me. I don't really want to try and drill it out afraid I'll get to much play then. Do I need the one for the 500 instead. Next what SS gear set can I put in it. Thanks in advance for the help. Ron

swill88

I've heard from Bryan that for the Pro Gears you need to file a flat edge on the pin little by little until it will fit.

The sleeve for the 500 or 505 are the same except for maybe the thread. Just make sure your star will thread on and your good.

I'll be filing the pin for my PG soon so I'm not talking from experience.

Bryan Young

I believe the pin needs to be filed half flat for the pint to fit on the 255.  Just file and fit, file and fit until it slides in.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Shaving the pin will do it, but if its only a little, I like to sand the bottom of the sleeve by using 400/500 grit sandpaper and finish with 1000/12000 grit.
Very easy to do, place the sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the gear sleeve in a circular motion as you hold it straight up, one or two minutes will usually do it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Did the pin come with the new stainless sleeve? I had trouble with the pin that came with the sleeve when I upgraded my YTS. The pin fit the sleeve fine but when the new sleeve went on the old shaft I was not to insert the new pin. I was able to push with pliers the old pin in which is stainless steel also into the new sleeve and shaft. If I ever need to remove the pin again it will take a thin punch or nail to get it back out but it fit without any mods.

day0ne

I usually file the groove on the gear stud to fit. Many ways to skin a cat
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

fish4

Thanks for the info I'll try the sanding and then go with the file for final fit. What gears will fit the best in it 500 or the 505 set that Alan has.