Titus Gold 20II low gear slipping????

Started by gstours, July 31, 2015, 04:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hey out there,   can anyone help me on a problem I,m having......I have a 2 spd okuma titus gold 20 reel that occasionally will slip out of low gear when reeling under pressure.  it shifts fine and all.  the high gear has no problem,  I cant figure out how to fix it yet.  Has anybody had this problem,  and how did you fix it????   Any ideas would be appreciated except sending it to Alan T.

Tightlines667

Gary,

I have never worked on this reel, so take what I say eith a grain o salt. 

I would suspect either a bad right spool or pinion bearing, or wear on the low speed main and/or pinion, or wear inside causing any play in the rive shaft.  I would pull the reel apart, examine/replace the bearings, check the drive shaft for play.  If you csn move the handle in snd out for then say 0.3mm, you may want to shim under the gear set, and/or under the handle.  If there is noticable wobble in the handle you could try replacing the drive shaft and/or the right side plate (which includes a new drive shaft holder)...both expensive.  Try examining the gears under magnification and look for rounding of the outter portion of the teeth, or any chips, marring, or stress fractures.  You could also note if the roughness is even or if it creates noticable bumps (if so where, and how many times per revolution of the handle.  Marking the gear where it bumps, and considering the gear ratio would tell you right where the prob is on the gears.  I have also heard of guys ysing bluing compound to mark the gears, and see clearly where they are neshing properly, and where there are high spots.  I have heard of guys using Silica-infused bedding compound on the gears to recondition them.  Not a bad idea to try if you know your gears are rough.  Just make sure all compound is gone before you relube. 

In my experience, when I find bad gears there is either an obvious failure point, or the gears were damaged due to some other problem (play in drive shaft, spool shaft, or pinion, or bad bearings that caused the gears to misalign slightly leading to wear.  Replacing the gears as a set, replacing the bearings, and shimming under the main gears (as needed) will likely solve your problem..but may he a bit costly.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I recently chased this problem on a TG50II which is close enough. If you look at the schematic there are thin shims that go on to the main shaft under the square key.

This is under the 2 drive gears. I added one more and it solved the problem.

I replicated the problem by removing one shim from his other TG50II and it would then jump out of gear.

I got the shims from Okuma.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

Thanks for the info on shimming and inspecting the gear.  I will post what the solution was.  might be winter tho,  as i,m fishin now!