Okuma Oryx 90

Started by sharkman, July 31, 2015, 03:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

My local tackle shop has an Okuma Oryx 90 surf reel. Anyone have any experience with reel. Researched the reel on internet and noticed lifetime warranty, BUT called Okuma to verify and the rep was not familiar with reel.  The rep stated must have been an import reel since it wasn't on their website. I ensured rep that the local tackle dealer was definitely not an importer of reels.  Rep stated if they did make the reel warranty is only one year in America. He could not give explanation why warranty would be longer outside USA on reel.  During research also noted that Okuma has a note in Warranty manual any reel that has been of production line for 3 years has no warranty.  What a shame I am a big penn and okuma fan.

Tiddlerbasher

AFAIK the Oryx range has been out of production for some time. Like most reels a pre-use service will improve it's life expectancy. Swap out the drags for CF. I make a point of checking side play of the gears/handle shaft and shim as required. On one occasion I didn't - the gears partially stripped - it cost me a good fish. Grease the bearings and drags. Like a lot of budget reels it will do a job but don't expect a Rolls Royce performance ;)