Kencor Reels

Started by broadway, January 03, 2011, 11:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Hey Crew,

Just figured I'd let ya know I cut my teeth on a couple of Kencors, (I think 910's- the metal placard on the side plate was gone) they had light grey sideplates.  They were in some really sad shape till I got through with them.  These reels had round wooden handles on them, but I doubt it was stock.  I knew from this site that I wasn't getting any parts so I made do with what I had.  I replaced the screws with penn 112h side plate screws cause it took 3 days to get them off the cross bars with a lot of liquid wrench and every other loosening agent I could get my paws on.  It is virtually the same as a penn senator (much to my liking:)  There were however a few differences to note:  I think Kencor uses more Stainless (18-8) parts, but a much lighter gauge everything from the main gear to the eccentric, and all the springs (clutch, dog, and eccentric).  The reel was the size of a 4/0 with the gearing size of a 3/0.  The side plates seem to be a crappy plastic (all the side plates were cracked in one place or another) compared to the senators and other Penn reels.  The drag limit was 7 lbs, but I wouldn't fish that all day... I think the frame would give out before the drag or anything else.  I did like the dog spring set up a lot better on the Kencor cause the dog has a bend that fits in the spring to hold it all together.  The bridge on the Kencor was very thin and almost seemed flimsy as opposed to the chunk of brass for the Senators. The Kencor did get me thinkin' when I noticed all of the bridge screws were only partially threaded as opposed to the 2 threaded and 2 part threaded configuration of the senators. Why would any of the Bridge screws be threaded all the way... it can only go so far any how?  All in all, if I had the choice 40 years ago to buy a senator or Kencor I would definitely go with the Senator. The only variable being the almighty dollar.  If it was half the price I'd be collecting Kencor's right now :D  I guess the answer is obvious cause Kencor is gone and Penn is the biggest in the U.S. 

Dom

alantani

i've got a dozen in the garage as well.  they're somewhere, out there......... :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I know where they are at if you need to find them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Phinaddict

Just to stir up the pot, I love my little retro Kencor 810. Its like a Penn 146 Squidder, uses 155 drags and contrary to the larger reels Dom commented on, these little guys are sweet. I'd pick it over the Penn any day. All stainless rings, frames, bars and gears. Plastic spool.  I had to use a Penn pinion yoke as there are no parts available. It casts great, has enough drag for the 17 Ande mono and is the good luck reel for trigger fish in Baja..mmmm ceviche!

I think the story goes:
Kencor gave up the reel business due to the exchange between the yen and dollar. They continued with Kencor rods, (popular in SoCal) and they were made here in the states. The original owner, Ken,  passed on a few years ago. The Kencor rod company just closed this past year. I have a kencor Zebra rod....killer live bait 20-25# rod.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

broadway

I'll give it to Ken for his use of stainless as well.  It's a shame they don't make 'em any more cause it's companies like that, that keep the big guys (penn) honest.  Maybe that's why Penn can out source to china now- no USA-made competition  :'( Thanks for the knowledge Phin
Dom

alantani

dom, i saw a chinese version of a penn senator 112h.  the rings are stainless steel.  so are many of the internal parts.  in a nutshell, it is a superior reel.  the chinese can make the reel and put it in a box for a cost of $7-10.  then it is shipped to the US to be sold.  that's tough to beat.  alan :(

broadway

Alan,

I worked on two of the newer (china-made) 113h's and thought some of the parts were stainless, but if they are it ain't good stainless...They had small specks of rust.  Being the reel is under two years old it shouldn't be starting to rust, even though the guys who's reel it was isn't to easy on his gear.  I agree on the rings- they're much firmer like the really old senators only they are stainless now which is a big bonus except they don't shine up as well ;)  The last thing is the side plates are crap!  They chip at the drop of a dime... don't  force the rings off with Alan's famous and fantastically functional knife technique or pry with a screwdriver cause you have a great chance on cracking or chipping a piece off (I chipped two sideplates with the most minimal force).  I have only chipped one other reel that I've worked on about 70+ and most of them were glued on with corrosion or 40 year old grease.  Are they really made for $7-$10 bucks?!  How much in the US?  That's  amazing... and tough to beat :'(
Dom

alantani

yeah, the stainless is probably the cheap 304 stuff.  still, i think it's better than penn's chrome.  i need to figure out a way to clean the chrome off old penn parts, polish them up and rechrome them with something decent.  the problem, as always, is the cost!

fishkin24/7

Ijust came across a Kencor Drum 820 excelent condition the thing is it's missing the original sideplate bearing.Does anyone have kencor parts, meaning the bearing that fits this model that they would like to part with? Or will another reel model sideplate bearing fit this one? that's not a kencor.

harryk3616

the kencor reels seem to look like the dolphin - olympic reels.   i have a couple of lawrence reels, a reel close copy of penn reels, black and a light blue one,  even the light blue jc higgins seems close also

SoCalAngler

Quote from: broadway on January 04, 2011, 09:34:10 AM
     I'll give it to Ken for his use of stainless as well.  It's a shame they don't make 'em any more cause it's companies like that, that keep the big guys (penn) honest.  Maybe that's why Penn can out source to china now- no USA-made competition  :'( Thanks for the knowledge Phin
Dom

What about Accurate and Avet?