4/0 dog woes

Started by spize909, August 01, 2015, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spize909

I decided to open up and service my 113h.
Cleaned and lubed things, greased up the drags, put back together...........and all seems good. But...when I tighten the bridge screws to just snug it fine. When I cinch them down where they should be I got no anti-reverse.

Here is what happened differently. One of my flat washers in the stack was kind of pitted a little. I was going to sand it but decided to go by the tackle shop and see if they had one along with a drag washer to put under the main gear.
He found a good washer and a good (slightly used) drag washer.

I put it all back together and I was too thick with that drag washer under so removed it and stuck the stocker back in. It went back together good, everything smooth until I button down on the bridge screws and lose my AR. Spring is intact when I pull it back apart so this leads me to believe that somehow the main gear is pinching down on the dog and not letting it return............does that make sense? Never had this issue before. The flat washer in the stack could be a hair bigger than what came out but I cant see how that would matter.

spize909

sorry, just noticed that there is a separate forum for senators........mod could move if applicable.

Tightlines667

The dog is likely getting hung up on the undergear washer.  Order a delron washer from Dawn at smoothdrag, or ensure that the CF undergear washer is the right outter diameter.

The other possibility is that there is too much grease, or a bur on the dog.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

spize909

I put the same washer back in.....but for sure it's getting hung up.
I just went out and messed with it a little more without taking it apart.
All screws tight except the screw that runs through the dog and it's fine. I can even go pretty snug but as soon as I tighten it where it should be, I lose AR.
I'll yank her back apart and see if anything jumps out at me.

Tightlines667

You might try just sanding down the dog a few thousandths or so.  May be that your stock undergear washer is swollen slightly or warped.  BTW, the reel will perform better with carbonfiber drag washers greased with Cal's and a greased undergear CF washer, or delron washer.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Sounds like the dog is getting hung up in between the bridge and the plate when tightened.
The Senator plates do swell over time and I bet there is a tight spot on that plate making it hang up.
I would do as John said and sand the flat surface of the dog a smidge.
You could always sand the plate a little instead where the dog pivots.
Also check the back side of that bridge to see if anything is catching it.
Keep us posted.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 01, 2015, 09:00:42 PM
You might try just sanding down the dog a few thousandths or so.  May be that your stock undergear washer is swollen slightly or warped.  BTW, the reel will perform better with carbonfiber drag washers greased with Cal's and a greased undergear CF washer, or delron washer.
Lets try not to confuse members John ;D, one is a drag washer and the other act as a bearing. Two completely different washers.
As I have mentioned many times before, you'll do much better with a Delrin washer for under the main gear, but try it for yourself and see.

Spize, from your explanation sounds like your dog is too thick, sand it on a sheet of sandpaper and you should be good. It doesn't take much to do it, you should only need very little off.

Oops...typing at the same time, but looks like we all have the same idea ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Spize, pay attention.  Sand the dog.  You hear?  Sand the dog.   :D :D :D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

spize909

I was just thinking about it and thought if I sanded that dog just a little it may help.............what do y'all think ;D

Actually I did have a bit of a scratch on the bridge plate and polished that a bit and it helped. If I really crank that screw though I can still get it to hang up. Just for shitts and grins I'm gonna pull it back apart and sand that dog too. I may just order one of them delrin bushings. I do like delrin and it has a couple good uses on my sand rail already.

So on that note, why would you use a fiber (CF) washer under the main gear as always suggested? I thought it was to increase drag capacity.

One more thing......that AR worked fine for years, right up to the point that I took it apart.

handi2

If you need a Delrin washer or 2 just send me a PM with your address. I'll send you one.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

spize909

Quote from: handi2 on August 01, 2015, 11:51:24 PM
If you need a Delrin washer or 2 just send me a PM with your address. I'll send you one.

Keith
That'd be awesome!
Thanks
pm sent.

Shark Hunter

Delrin is the way to go spize. That under gear CF does nothing for drag. It will also not last near as long as a Delrin. I use it on all my under gears. From a Jigmaster to a 14/0. ;)
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Cry havoc and let loose the dogs y'all ;D