Daiwa Lexa 300 Binding

Started by MrAC1980, August 02, 2015, 03:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrAC1980

Hey guys, I've done a bunch of Lexa conv reels with positive results.  Today I worked on a 300 lefty and the reel binds up when drag is applied.  The more you lock it up, the harder it becomes to turn.  If you loosen the drag the reel is smooth.  Any thoughts?  This is a first time I've seen this issue with a Lexa.  Thanks!

johndtuttle

Quote from: MrAC1980 on August 02, 2015, 03:52:51 AM
Hey guys, I've done a bunch of Lexa conv reels with positive results.  Today I worked on a 300 lefty and the reel binds up when drag is applied.  The more you lock it up, the harder it becomes to turn.  If you loosen the drag the reel is smooth.  Any thoughts?  This is a first time I've seen this issue with a Lexa.  Thanks!

I'm thinking the Drive Shaft bearing that supports the handle may be going bad. The inner race of that bearing is functioning as a drag washer as the star pushes on it then onto the ARB sleeve that presses on the drag washers.

The axial load will cause the bearings to go bad eventually and then will bind more and start feeling rough. There may be some tolerance issue in that area as well (like the bearing receptacle) that is contributing in the lefty models (a wild guess).

It has to be in the star area because I can't think of anything that could cause this elsewhere like possibly belleville washers hangin up or somthing.

MrAC1980

My stupid butt forgot a washer under the main gear!  All problems fixed, smooth as sink once again!

johndtuttle

Quote from: MrAC1980 on August 03, 2015, 09:27:31 PM
My stupid butt forgot a washer under the main gear!  All problems fixed, smooth as sink once again!

Thanks for sharing your resolution. It had to be something in the main gear/stack. :D