Daiwa 27H

Started by Rancanfish, August 02, 2015, 06:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

OK, I'm looking at the schematic and the frame and left side seem to be all one piece, or at least permanently attached.

I cannot figure how the spool comes out. I tug and nothing moves. The spool rotates fine, but won't come out. Am I dealing with the outside of the spool bearing frozen to the sideplate?

I don't see a way (access) to apply any kind of release chemical/lube.

It's late so I'm done for tonight.

Anybody familiar with this tough little son of a gun?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

swill88

from memory... if you pop off the cap covering the levelwind gear you may be able to get to the ls bearing. (i think)

Rancanfish

Well, thanks for the reply, but now I need a new cover, lol.  No access to the bearing.

I was right, the bearing was frozen on the shaft.  I have to say Daiwa used quality bearings in their reels in the day.  The darn thing had rusty crust all over it.  I sprayed it with carb cleaner a few times, wiped it down and the darn thing spun like a top!

The bad news.... when the bearing / spool finally came loose, it took out the nylon cog, and bent the heck out of the clicker assembly.  Then when trying to get the bearing off the shaft I cracked the race/case. 

Hope Daiwa carries the parts still.  If not I have a parts reel for sale.

swill88

sorry about the mangled cap... i learned the hard way (now I recall) to use a knife at the top & bottom simultaneously.

Have had good luck with Daiwa parts from this guy.

http://stores.tunasreeltroubles.com/sealine-27h-27sh/

Rancanfish

Just bought everything but the bearing. Hope it's available from Daiwa or I just wasted money.

But then again I belong to the Fred Oakes school of thought.  If it's fixable I HAVE to do it.   8)

I will have spent more than the reel is worth when done.

Rancanfish

Daiwa is sending the bearing no charge!  That is the second part they have shipped free.  Not a lot of money but sure generating some Daiwa loyalty here.  And I bet the part gets here before my paid order!

I also found a new Daiwa power handle. Alan gave this to me over a decade ago!  So, thanks again Alan.  I can't believe how dinky the original handle is.

Between Dawn @ SmoothDrag, and our own smooth Bryan, my reels are turning to gold!   ;D