California says no showers at the beach before going home

Started by fishmeluck, August 03, 2015, 04:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmeluck

Our leaders have decided that it will save water to shut off the showers at State Beaches. See http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-outdoor-showers-20150710-story.html.

Is that really true?

I think that instead of just taking a two minute public shower at the beach and showering for ten or fifteen minutes at home in the morning, people will take a ten or fifteen minute shower when they get home and another one in the morning ::). Am I wrong?
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Bryan Young

I know in Morro Bay, the showers are off.  Everyone is using cups and the drinking fountain or sink water to shower...cup by cup...so we don't take the beach home with us in our cars.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

But then it's on you for wasting water when you get home rather than the state wasting water at the beach.  And when I say "on you" I mean it's on you to pay for the water!  I guess they could leave the water on but make it coin operated at 25 cents/minute like the washdowns at the boat launch ramp.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

When I was living in Japan, there were showers available for 300 yen for 3 minutes of shower...hot and cold water.  I didn't mind it because I could easily wash up everything for 300 yen...myself and my surfboard in warm water...ah...that ocean was cold in Japan. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fishmeluck

Quote from: MarkT on August 03, 2015, 03:05:25 PM
But then it's on you for wasting water when you get home rather than the state wasting water at the beach.  And when I say "on you" I mean it's on you to pay for the water!  I guess they could leave the water on but make it coin operated at 25 cents/minute like the washdowns at the boat launch ramp.

Your point understood and accepted, however, it's always on our dime every shower we take at home, that practically goes without saying. To me, the issue is not does it save the state money, it's the question does it really save water overall? Honestly, how many people take a longer shower at home, where it's private and the water is heated versus at the beach where it's public and the water is cold?
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Brendan

Then lots of research money can be spent to find out where the sand went.

Big Tim

You won't like my solution. Keep our water north and don't send it south at all:

A navy shower (also known as a "combat shower", "military shower", "sea shower" or "staggered shower") is a method of showering that allows for significant conservation of water and energy by turning off water during the "middle" portion. An initial thirty seconds or so are used to get wet, followed by soap and lather without running water, which is then rinsed off in a minute or less. The total time for the water being on is typically under two minutes.

Navy showers originated on naval ships, where supplies of fresh water were often scarce. Using this method, crew members were able to stay clean, while conserving their limited water supply. The idea has been adopted by many people who wish to conserve water and the energy need

Reel 224

Ruth and I shower together and share responsibilities as it were. It conserves water and it's a lot of fun too. ;D ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

I just stopped showering all together cuz I'm so aware of the drought.  Saves water, keeps people from standing close to me and nobody asks me to take them fishing anymore.  It's a win win win win.

swill88

Quote from: David Hall on August 19, 2015, 12:05:27 AM
I just stopped showering all together cuz I'm so aware of the drought.  Saves water, keeps people from standing close to me and nobody asks me to take them fishing anymore.  It's a win win win win.

that's true oldschool...

Dominick

Quote from: David Hall on August 19, 2015, 12:05:27 AM

:D ;D :D ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

fishmeluck

Quote from: Big Tim on August 17, 2015, 03:15:13 AM
A navy shower is ...

My Dad taught me the Navy shower, and I took a few as a kid. Can't remember why. Wet down, turn shower off. Wash. Turn shower on, rinse. Done.

If you've read the scifi classic, Dune, by Frank Herbert, you know about the desert planet, Arrakis, the Fremen and still-suits. Now, there's the extreme. No showers, just filter your own sweat and drink it.

conchydong

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 03, 2015, 02:30:13 PM
I know in Morro Bay, the showers are off.  Everyone is using cups and the drinking fountain or sink water to shower...cup by cup...so we don't take the beach home with us in our cars.

Take a 5 gallon bucket with you and fill it up with sea water for a saltwater wash down when you get back to the car.