114H problem with free spool engagement/disengagement

Started by jbackos, August 03, 2015, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbackos

All,

I am in the process of upgrading a 114H with SS gears, sleeve, dog, and yoke and Bryan's 7+1 drag. The problem I am having is as follows:

When the right side plate is assembled, the free spool lever does not want to flip fully forward and it feels liek it is binding somewhere. If I hold the pinion gear down with my thumb, then the lever clicks forward easily. Also the eccentric jack seems gouged on the two surfaces which slide over the yoke. I have ordered a new eccentric jack.

Am I on the right path here or could this be due to something else. All other clearances seem fine.

Any info would be appreciated.

RowdyW

It sounds like you are on the right track but maybe also replace the yoke. When installing the yoke make sure that the side with the more rounded edge is the leading edge that the jack ramps up on.     RUDY

Bill B

Make sure your bridge screws are in the right place...the screws with threads at bottom go through the yoke and jack, the fully threaded screws hold the dog an.  If you reverse them the yoke and jack will bind on the fully threaded screws....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

All good advice.  Report back and let us know what you find.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

When you have the right side assembled the pinion will line up much better when the spool is in place and the rest of the reel put together. When you get the new parts try that first.

The clutch lever should move with no binding when just the right side is put together.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Here is what has been working out for me.
We all know the point of contact with the Jack and Yoke

Here is a stock Jack

and here is that same Jack after i've sanded the tabs

I do not like to use files, I use wet and dry sandpaper in fine grit. I'll hit the tabs where marked with the red arrows and try to get them as rounded as possible
I will also hit the yoke at point of contact...red arrows

This only takes a couple of minutes and it does wonders for the clutch.
Make sure the stamped side is always facing up, as i'm showing above.
You would want this side I'm showing below facing down

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jbackos

I tweaked the eccentric tabs a bit and it now works, but I have a new jack being shipped anyway.

Alto Mare

The jack I  showed you above was brand new. I do the same to all my reels except on the custom ss jack and yoke from Black Pearl, those are already rounded.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jbackos

Alto,

Is the SS jack available for sale?

Thanks,

John

Alto Mare