...the second half (now with cobias)

Started by Prof. Salt, August 04, 2015, 06:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

This part of the season it tough. Work is busy, fishing is red hot, and video clips are stacking up faster than I can edit them. I finally finished the second half to that solo trip, and I am reminded that solo trips can be lots of fun too.

JoePlo

Nice video. How far do you go to hit those rigs? Where do you fish out of? Solo yak fishing can be very calming and nice.

Prof. Salt

Finally, someone who understands! That spot is no more than 3.5 miles from shore. I've hit rigs at 7.5 miles on solo trips but that's a real workout, especially when you get into good fish.

JoePlo

3.5 miles isnt too bad. I Usually set my limit at about 3-4 max. Been caught in some intense currents and winds and took 2+hrs to paddle home in PA14. What state are you in? I would guess TX or LA.

Check this out for some heartbreak:

Prof. Salt

Corpus Christi, Texas. I've had tough paddles back, especially near the port when I got caught in the outgoing tide. Tough conditions sometimes, but lately it's nice. If I limit myself to 20 miles or less, I still feel pretty good when I get home and cleaned up.

...and ouch, that was painful to watch!

JoePlo

How long have you been yak fishing? What are your favorite rod/reels? Curious to see what your preferred equipment is.

Prof. Salt

I've been offshore yak fishing for six years (the first year in a canoe... Don't do that) and I paddle 250-300 miles per season out there. Right now I'm using a pair of Truth SG reels for trolling and I love them! I also use a Fin-Nor Offshore that works really well. The little reel is a 2500 size reel for jigging up bait and the occasional cobia or Jack.

JoePlo

Really cant beat the Release "Truth" SG reel on the yak. With its warranty, size and capability it really fits the bill. I typically use a Release/Truth SG, Penn Baja Special, Saragossa 8k and Penn Spinfisher V 4500. I have a problem that with the PA14 having 6 horizontal rod tubes I tend to fill them up whether I will need the reels/rods or not.

Reel 224

As always a very interesting video, I got a little chuckle out of that incident with the fish biting you on the ankle only because it reminded me of an incident I had with a small dog biting me on the ankle, he was a little #### that you would never expect to go for you.....but as they are labeled (Ankle Biter) it so fit that small fish....sorry for laughing at your pain. ;D

By the way I did pass that information on to my son about yak fishing the Gulf.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Prof. Salt

Haha, that's what I get for rushing to put down the first fish! I normally put them in the footwells with the biting end under the fottpegs. That way all you have to worry about is the tail. Unfortunately I'm a sucker for those screaming drags, and just dropped the first fish to grab the second rod. Not to worry, it healed within a week and now is completely gone. I did worry about Vibrio that day, but evidently the fish had brushed his teeth that morning and was clean, lol.

Reel 224

Quote from: Prof. Salt on August 05, 2015, 02:13:29 PM
Haha, that's what I get for rushing to put down the first fish! I normally put them in the footwells with the biting end under the fottpegs. That way all you have to worry about is the tail. Unfortunately I'm a sucker for those screaming drags, and just dropped the first fish to grab the second rod. Not to worry, it healed within a week and now is completely gone. I did worry about Vibrio that day, but evidently the fish had brushed his teeth that morning and was clean, lol.

Glad to hear everything went well, I didn't give the fact that there was a possibility of infection from that bite and it's good that there wasn't a bad ending. We are all suckers for a screaming drag....at least I know I am. ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

nelz

Prof. Salt, you have got to be the calmest, quietest fisherman I ever did see, lol.

Prof. Salt

Calm is an important quality when you're offshore alone in a plastic boat. Take your time when you need to and let the fish hook themselves. If you set the drag correctly the fish will do half the work for you!  :)

Shark Hunter

Another great Vid professor. That last Cobia looked like a nice one.
Joe, You should have gave yours a little Novacaine before he shook the gaff.
Sorry he got away, but that's fishing. :'(
Life is Good!