Acquiring new (to you) used stuff...

Started by thorhammer, August 04, 2015, 11:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Hey folks, just wanted to make a couple points buying used stuff, which prolly everyone here does:

- I hunt yard sales and pawn shops. I get some stuff from fleabay if its an item I'm specifically hunting but obviously not really negotiable. Since I build / repair rods, I am usually able to talk down a seller (which is ALWAYS inflated at a pawn shop) based on repairs i see needed. This works much better than just making an offer to see if they'll take it. I've bought Lamiglas sticks for $15 because they needed a guide or tip......This also works for reels. I've worked on my own Penn's for years but since joining this site I can more readily assess whatever reel I'm looking at and get a better idea of what it will take to get in good working order; i.e. i will take apart a drag on the spot to see if it's been serviced and maintained, usually (not always) a good indicator of what's inside if you can't do invasive surgery on the counter looking for that 9500SS gear made of Unobtainium....more to follow....

-Don't be afraid to pull the trigger on something you have not rebuilt before if you are ok with potential parts replacement costs. This site has given me that confidence and  I have practically stolen some prime pieces because I know I can deal with even a major issue and still get a value....which is as much of the fun of collecting for me as anything.

-I CANNOT OVEREMPHASIZE THE VALUE OF THIS SITE IN ITS COMRADERIE AND OUTSTANDING TECH SUPPORT. SOMEONE WILL HAVE THE ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM, SO GRAB THAT FROZEN 970 MAG FOR $30, ALL DAY LONG......I just had an issue with a sand clogged 750, posted a question and within minutes two leaders on this forum responded (thanks Darron and Sal!). I'm fairly certain they weren't siitting around waiting for  a question on a junker reel (tho I wouldn't really bet any money on that  :) ) but they weere a helluva lot faster than your service call to your cable company, i can tell you.

What an incredible resource we have , thank you Mr. Tani.