replacing drag with the new 117DN-30 Drive Plate Assembly with Dura-Drag™ Washer

Started by GuyA, January 04, 2011, 10:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyA

Alan,

Great read.  Thanks for all the help.  You're awesome and I have bought your wrench from MysticParts.com

Couple of questions.

I've got 5 VSW's.  If I leave a little too much Cal's drag grease on the new dura-drag's (wiped off but not as much as your post) do you think it will be ok???  

If I replace the Old #117D-30 of my older international and put the new Dura drag on, do I need to replace the Floating Drag washer(I think this is what it's called) (Key #7) also???   My local repair shop said I would have to replace it as well.  

Thank you!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

if you leave too much grease in the drive plate, you may lose a little free spool.  otherwise, you should be fine.  on your other reel, if you have ht-100 material, grease it and you should be good.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GuyA

The old drag washer is a little worn.  You can see white around the outsides and it looks pretty flat compaired to the duradrags on the VSW's I've got. 

If I was to replace it would I also have to replace that plate too(Floating Drag washer) or just the drag??

One other question.  When the reels are in free spool and I turn the handle like I'm reeling in a fish, the spool spins like it's still hardly touching the drag plate.  Is this normal???  Could it be excess grease grabbing something?  When the clicker is on it stops so there is not much drag but I sense that this is slowing my freespool.  Any advice? 

Thanks again!

alantani

the first thing i would do is clean everything up, then throw a coat of cal's grease on it and see how it performs.  if you get enough drag and it is smooth enough, then call it a day.  if it does not work, then order up a new drag drag plate.

you're right, the excess grease might be grabbing.  if that's not a problem, leave it.  if you want better freespool, clean off the excess grease.  also, clean out the bearings a little and make sure the bare spool spins ok.  the bearings also isolate the spool from the spool shaft.  and lastly, make sure that there are no "rubs" anywhere else. 

GuyA

Alan,

the old drag is just not cutting it.  I'm going to put on a new dura drag.  Is it cool to use the old Floating Drag washer with the new dura drag???

Thanks in advance! 

alantani