Need help in how to order new bearings

Started by steelfish, August 07, 2015, 05:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

how do I know if this bearing or anyother is based on inches or metric to find the proper size?

I have a talica 20II that have some bad bearings, shimano is out of those bearings for 2 months and I need to get them somewhere else.
but the measures that I got from my caliper are kind of wierd, maybe I only need the size in inches or maybe just mm
can someone help me here please.

I will put the measures I got on each bearing on MM, inches and fraction, then you can tell me how to look for it.

bearing (pinion) right plate   TGT 1227         

sizes         inches      mm   fraction   
ID       0.3 930      9.99   25/64   
OD       0.8 640     21.95   111/128   
width       0.2 340      5.94   15/64   

main left side bearing   TGT 1329 (1239)         

sizes        inches      mm   fraction   
ID       0.3 120      7.92   5/16   
OD       0.7 465     18.96   3/4   
width       0.2 340       5.94   15/64   

spool bearings (2)   TGT 1583         

sizes          inches      mm   fraction   
ID        0.2 740       6.96      
OD        0.5 495     13.95      
width        0.1 955       4.96      

The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

As it's Shimano I would default to metric.

1st bearing
10x22x6 mm

2nd
8x19x6

3rd
7x14x5

steelfish

thanks

I wasnt sure if it was safe to order them that way, specially on the OD, sometimes they are really tight to fit that 2mm more will make them almost impossible to put them back on the spool or side plate.

The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on August 07, 2015, 06:19:41 PM
thanks

I wasnt sure if it was safe to order them that way, specially on the OD, sometimes they are really tight to fit that 2mm more will make them almost impossible to put them back on the spool or side plate.

Pretty much anything made outside of the USA is going to be Metric. The difference you measure is so that they will fit into their receptacle.

Also, if you have the particular reel then Boca or Dawn at smoothdrag will know the dimensions of the bearings if you contact them. They are all standard and commonly available bearings (the USA ones in inches are the only weirdos). When you start comparing your measurements to what is available it starts making more sense.

If you round up all of your numbers by a tiny bit you will see they are all standard bearings in metric dimensions, but very odd ones in inches.

steelfish

guys,

I have another talica 20 and a 25 to change bearings

I already know the bearing sizes for the 20II and checking on shimano site the bearings for the 25II have the same code number.
Can I assume they are the same size than the 20II? (pretty sure it that what it means if both reels have the same bearing code) but I want to be sure before ordering them and would like to avoid opening the 25II reel just to check the bearings and close it again  :-\

The Baja Guy

alantani

just checked and dawn at smoothdrag does not carry all of them.  boca bearings will.  i have them as well.  let me know it i can help. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Thanks Alan for taking the time for checking that for me
Let me check another reel to see if I might need more parts
The Baja Guy

Three se7ens

Generally speaking, quality dial calipers will typically be accurate to a few thousandths of an inch at any given interval.  If you have calibrated gauges and a good feel, plus or minus a thousandth isnt unreasonable.  But this is beyond the design accuracy of calipers.  Digital calipers are typically less accurate, and further, you cant tell if a measurement seems wonky like you can with a dial. 

But you dont need a super high level of accuracy to size bearings.  So round your numbers to the closest, and thats your size.  0.05mm is only about 0.002", and thats certainly within the accuracy range of most calipers. 

Bearings are typically measured by ID x OD x width.  For example, you can search www.bocabearings.com for 4x8x3 and it will give you results for all MR84 size bearings, which are 4mm bore, 8mm OD, and 3mm wide.  With the trade number (mr84) you can easily shop around.

A few other important features of standard bearing nomenclature:

an "s" prefix denotes stainless construction
a "c" suffix denotes ceramic balls.  Full ceramic bearings will typically be labeled as such, and significantly more expensive. 

After the dash denotes sealing

-zz means metal shields both sides
-2rs means rubber seals both sides

There are more, but those are the primary ones that apply to us here. 

Tiddlerbasher

A while back I checked my digital calipers and micrometer against a laboratory slip gauge. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the calipers were within a thou and the micrometer less than a 1/10 of a thou :) Repeatability was spot on as well. The micrometer had a built in adjustable clutch so you always applied the same tension. The calipers required an educated 'feel' to achieve repeatability. Not really that important for my projects, but still nice to know.

oc1

Boca Bearings is closed because of storm.
-steve

steelfish

thanks Adam for the explanation, that really helped

Steve, thanks for the info on Bocabearings, Alan is covering me with the bearings

The Baja Guy

steelfish

well, I changed 4 bearings on the talica 20, the pinion bearing was really corroded and have lots of salt crystals and/or maybe sand, it was really toasted since its pretty rough to spin, it was actually stuck on the pinion when I took it out, I have to tap a bit the bearing from the pinion to set them apart.
I filed the surface of the pinion where it meets the bearing and now fits good on the new bearing.

but the reel once assembled still make an ugly gearing noise (like a newell reel  ;D), almost the same noise and feeling on the handle you get when the bearings are bad.

not a clunky noise but a noise you hear when the pinion bearing is really toasted but this one is brand new and packed with grease.

do you have found something like this on the talicas?

this is the 2nd talica I service this week and the 1st one was smooth and straigh as silent as yuo find it on the store, but the current one is noisy.

the spool bearings spin freely and pretty silent if you spin the spool taking the spool shaft, benevilles are ()(), so the issue "seems" to be in the gearing (they seem to mesh correctly) or the new bearing (which I doubt)

any hint?

PS: the new pinion bearing "needed" a bit of help to fit on its place, I used a wrench over the bearing (flat) and the do some light hit with another tool until the bearing sit to the bottom of the side plate hole.

The Baja Guy

alantani

look closely at the gear teeth and see if there is any damage.  i guess if you had to hammer in the pinion bearing, it might have been damaged in the process.  let's hope it's the bearing again, and not the gears. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

You might also want to just mount the shaft assembled w the pinion gear and the main gears in place of the left side plate, but fresh/extra grease on the gears, and test alignment throughout the preset/lever range.  Make sure they are lining up correctly.  Using magnification to closely examine the teeth in the gears is a good idea, as us noting/marking specific areas of roughness.  Some members have had lick using bedding compound to precondition the gears if they are unevenly worn, but there is no specific damage.

Investigation is in order here.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

I will check those parts tonight guys

This reel sounded like coffe grinder when I got it.
Right now its not that bad but still sounds ugly  (as a 113h with newell gears)
The Baja Guy