International II 12T, 12LT, 12W--what do the letters mean?

Started by Clipper, August 08, 2015, 12:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper

Sorry guys, but I am looking at buying a "12" but what do the T, LT, and W mean. I want to get the smallest "12" they made.  Thanks.
Another day in Paradise!

Tightlines667

T=Tourneyment (implies tubular/alum frame)
LT=Luxory Tourneyment
W= Wide
H=High Speed
No letter=Origional International

The W, and no letter, are all orig gen 1, with asbestos washers, and no solid frame.  The H has no frame but CF drag.  Both the T, and LT have frames and CF drags.

I have never cracked one of these guys, but here is what they have posted at Scott's:

SPECS  
Model   Mono Cap. (yds/lb)   Bearings   Gear Ratio   Weight (oz)   First Manf.   Year Disc.
12H
Click to view larger   850/20   4   4:1   32   Late 80s   1997
12LT
Click to view larger   850/12   4   4:1   34   1997   2004
12T
Click to view larger   850/12   4   4:1   34   Late 80s   1997

I have attached the schematics.  

If it were up to me, I think I would chose the 12LT over the other 4.  It has a solid alum frame, and a carbon fiber drag.  The cost of upgrading the older reel's drags may be cost prohibitive, if other parts (such as bearings) are needed as well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Here are the specs for the origional Internationsl, and the Wide models.  I also attached the LT manual, and schematics....

REEL SPECS 
Model   Mono Cap. (yds/lb)   Bearings   Gear Ratio   Weight (oz)   First Manf.   Year Disc.
Click to view larger   850/12   2   4:1   28   ???   Late 80s
Click to view larger   850/20   2   4:1   32   ???   Late 80s
12W
Click to view larger   1000/20   2   4:1   34   ???   Late 80s

Hope that helps?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Clipper

Thanks Tightlines.  I've spent a modest fortune at Scott's but always forget them as a source of info.  Sounds like an LT is good advice.  I'm wondering why Cal's lists all three as eligible for their "Super 12" conversion, promising 80# of max drag seemingly without regard for the age of the reel.  I want a Super 12, but I obviously don't want to spend more on the core 12 than I have to.  Guess I should ask Cal.
Another day in Paradise!

MarkT

I thought LT was light tackle, W is Wide, T is one piece frame, S is 2 speed, SX is 2 speed extreme drag, V is 5th generation
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Clipper

Another day in Paradise!

phil1841

The 12H is 4:1 like the T and LT models.  Don't think I've seen any one specific "12" model Penn which was smaller than the others.  As mentioned above, you can look at the spec's on Scott's Bait and Tackle site (mysticparts.com).  Also would be worth sending a note to Cal's 2-Speed and get their opinion on the "best" model.  They have seen an awful lot of them and probably know the strengths and weaknesses of each model.

I've got a 12H and 12T conversion which were bought used and Cal's has been great to communicate with and they've serviced/tuned both for me with great results.  I'm sure they would share their opinion even if you are not planning to convert the reel to 2 speed.  

email - info@cals2speed.com

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Clipper

Good advice, thanks.  How do you like your 12 conversions and what kind of fishing do you use them for?
Another day in Paradise!

phil1841

Both of my 12's are two speeded - and loaded with spectra so I can use shorter topshots of mono or fluorocarbon line.  Normally fish 40lb but they can handle 50lb with no problem.  Use them on long range trips out of San Diego - mostly for tuna and pacific yellowtail.  There are so many great small two speed reels today but I really like the 12's.

Clipper

Sounds good phil, thanks.

I asked Cal Sheets which he preferred for his Super 12 conversion.  He said the 12LT...by far, then the 12T and 12H (old style frame) in that order.  All other 12's would be very much more expensive to convert.  I looked through all the available catalogues etc to find out why the 12LT might be different from the 12T, but haven't been able to find anything.  Cal is 2 speeding a 20T for me so I'll ask him next time we communicate.

I'm still intrigued by by the Super 12 2 speed.  Apparently there are other fools with the same problem, as one was sold on eBay yesterday for $500, which is what you would pay for a new 12VSX.

Another day in Paradise!

David Hall

I have a 12T with tiburon frame that cal recently did  a super 12 service on, I can't wait to get offshore with it.

Clipper

I think I saw a picture of it on another topic.  With the handle upgrade?  Almost too beautiful to fish.
Another day in Paradise!

David Hall

Fortunately the side plates have a lot of nicks so I can fish it without worry.