DIY Tackle Bag Modification - Pictures (Feel free to leave comments/suggestions)

Started by Quoc_Pham, August 09, 2015, 05:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quoc_Pham

Howdy ya'll (please put this in the correct forum if I have misplaced it)

I got irritated with the fact that each time I took out a tray in my offshore bag, the whole damn thing would somewhat collapse, so I decided to do something about it. I made a frame with some shelves inside to help support the shape of the bag whenever I took out any of the trays. The idea and design is really simple and it works for me.

I used AlClad 2024-T3 sheet metal in .040". Radius of the bends are 1/8". Did some measurements and calculations and bent the metal into a rectangular frame and held that together with three rivets. Then I just made some simple "shelves" and bent the ends down so I could drill and throw in some more rivets.

I can upload more pictures later if those who are so intrigued can take a closer look but for now these are what I have.

Feel free to ask questions, etc. Comments, any better ideas? It's an open forum.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Bill B

Thats good work....two questions....what did you use to bend the wide material and did it add much weight to your bag?....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: TARFU on August 09, 2015, 05:27:23 AM
Thats good work....two questions....what did you use to bend the wide material and did it add much weight to your bag?....Bill

1) I used a sheet metal brake, the largest sheet I used for the frame and shelves only were 7 3/8" wide if I remember. That 7 3/8" is the depth of the frame/shelf as it sits inside the bag. The large one piece I used for the frame is roughly 43-44" x 7 3/8" and the 4 shelves were roughly 11 3/4" x 7 3/8". I say roughly because I forgot all the math I used for the measurements since you have to account for bend radius and what not.

2) I didn't think the weight was an issue until you mentioned it. I weighed the frame and it's 43.4oz or 2.71# to some that may be burdensome but this is in my roller bag and I don't think I'll care too much. There are many ways I can lighten this but I'm at the if it ain't broke don't fix it stage. This was my first prototype and the fact it fits in the bag makes me a happy camper. I could have used thinner sheet metal and the rigidity wouldn't have been effected too much and on top of that this material was free. I have pondered the idea of removing the bottom shelf to make storage for bigger items if I use less tackle trays.

Reel 224

Very good idea Pham. Makes me wish I had come up with that Idea since I have the same problem with a few of my bags....especially since my Nephew is a HVAC contractor and has all of the metal and tools for me to make the inserts. Thanks for posting this, I'm going to run with your Idea and make some for my bags!!  ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Very nice job Quoc-Pham. Incorporating plane fixing skills into tackle bags...love it.
You haven't been around lately, don't be a stranger. I've enjoyed your tutorials in the past, lets see some more ;D.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 09, 2015, 03:08:27 PM
Very nice job Quoc-Pham. Incorporating plane fixing skills into tackle bags...love it.
You haven't been around lately, don't be a stranger. I've enjoyed your tutorials in the past, lets see some more ;D.
Sal

Thanks! Been really busy, I have a 21 month old son and a 23 day old daughter... I try to squeeze in time for fishing if time permits too! Can't spend all my time fixing reels :)

Alto Mare

Congratulations! Enjoy the kids as much as possible, they grow fast.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 09, 2015, 03:25:21 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy the kids as much as possible, they grow fast.

It's only a matter of time before they go fishing  ;D

Quoc_Pham

Going back on the weight subject. The sheet metal frame was 43.4 oz, but I forgot what I removed (the existing dividers) was 10.4 oz, so the net gain was 33oz which is less than 2 lbs.

MarkT

Very nice! I guess if you're into metalworking you could cut large openings in the shelves to decrease weight. Or just use angle iron (sheet steel) for the selves, Afterall the boxes are fairly rigid.  Both my Albacore and Calcutta bags have Velcro attached shelves that aren't all that supportive but they do have the benefit of adjustability and I often carry a double height box at the bottom. Too bad you can't just buy the plastic inserts that bags like the Mark Packs used... Or can you someplace?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: MarkT on August 11, 2015, 03:49:43 AM
Very nice! I guess if you're into metalworking you could cut large openings in the shelves to decrease weight. Or just use angle iron (sheet steel) for the selves, Afterall the boxes are fairly rigid.  Both my Albacore and Calcutta bags have Velcro attached shelves that aren't all that supportive but they do have the benefit of adjustability and I often carry a double height box at the bottom. Too bad you can't just buy the plastic inserts that bags like the Mark Packs used... Or can you someplace?

The weight is minimal at the moment. As for the flexibility, I was considering taking out the bottom shelf and/or the top shelf. Having two boxes per slot won't bother me much and cuts down on the weight as well.

Reel 224

Quote from: Quoc_Pham on August 11, 2015, 04:19:04 AM
Quote from: MarkT on August 11, 2015, 03:49:43 AM

The weight is minimal at the moment. As for the flexibility, I was considering taking out the bottom shelf and/or the top shelf. Having two boxes per slot won't bother me much and cuts down on the weight as well.

Spoke to my nephew last night about the insert and we decided to use a light gauge sheet metal which should work fine, but weight really isn't an issue on something that small anyway. I have three different bags that we will be working on. Thanks again Quoc_Pham for the Idea.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Cool beans brother....>2lbs is just a couple sinkers....and the way I lose them my bag would be -3 lbs when I'm done....enjoy the youngsters they grow way too fast...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!