Penn Dog Springs

Started by Bill B, June 26, 2015, 04:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I was at a friend's locksmith shop the other day, and started looking at his pin and spring kits.  I noticed many of the springs are the same size as some of the Penn Dog Springs (coil type)....and cheaper too....a search of lock springs on the net, shows 100 for about $3.00.....long story short, a trip to a local locksmith you can buy, or they may even give you a couple, for a lot cheaper than OEM springs....and no need to wait a week for SBT to ship a set.  Not sure about any other reel brands, but others maybe able to comment....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Good call, Bill --

Just take one of each various size used into a good, independant locksmith -- see if they have a match -- then find out about ordering 100 of each size.

Ask him if he needs a reel serviced for free as a favor for the information -- you will likely get the springs and a new client, plus his buddies.

When you have that many on hand -- the jobs go quicker -- just smart thinking.

You never see a pofessional carpenter climbing down the ladder every time he drops a nail -- pros got to be pros -- work smart, not hard.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

great info tarfu, thanks, question is are the springs non magnetic so they won't rust?    harryk

Bill B

RR....I will have to check, but these springs are used in exterior locks, so should be somewhat corrosion resistant, especially with a dab of grease.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

great call.

I need to go to my local locksmith and check this out, I will take some of my spares springs to compare

thanks for the tip

The Baja Guy