a good old fishing story with my kids to remember.. from few years ago

Started by steelfish, August 10, 2015, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I was going to put just the pictures on this thread
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14493.0

but I'll better tell the story behind them.

few years ago, I took my daughters to fish from the rocks at a place that is 1hr far on the south beaches.

on the youngest kid, I put a two hooks on her rod, one hook really small and another a big hook, she was using a light daiwa combo, the reek was 2500 size and 6lb mono, the idea was that she only will catch small sardines or small fishes on the small hook and nothing on the big hook because the crabs and triggerfish would eat the bait and the big hook dont fit on their mounths, she was mostly feeding the fish  ;D.
well that worked really well for few hours, she was happy getting few small fishes that were caught on the lip and we set them free 100% live, I was fishing next to her when she told me, daddy, I have a big one.. I saw the rod tip and it was barely moving, nooo honney, its a small one.
ok daddy.
few minutes later, daddy, I have a big one again or the bait is stuck on the bottom.
just hold the rod I told her.. then I saw her ligth rod totally bent.
how could a "big" fish got caught with those small hooks? well lets find out.

I help her to fight the fish since it was "too big" for her, we finally get the fish out and this was what we found.

a small spotted bay bass ate the small hook and later a bigger spotted bay bass ate the hooked small bass LOL

the big one got choked with the smaller, it doesnt look that big but it was like a monster on the light rod, it was almost 15"

I took the smaller fish out from the throat of the canibal one and used again as bait, but no avail

it was an experience that my girls still remember after 10 years, btw that bass was a nice meal that day

The Baja Guy

ChileRelleno

Great pics, I bet she remembers that always, big fishy ate the little fishy.

Fishing, make great memories (and lies) since man started fishing.

We used to go out to the bait cages in San Diego harbor and fish around them.
Nail those Spotted Bay bass and Sand bass by the dozens.
Great eats.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."