14/0

Started by Shark Hunter, August 10, 2015, 11:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

A member here posted up a 14/0 a while back on the cheap. Nobody bit.
I bought it for $250. I couldn't help myself. This old Girl is in great shape for that amount.
A little spool shimming and polishing. A Keta Krank and Kokelar grip. Adams insert with Tom's ss sleeve and the double dog treatment should breathe new life into this Bohemoth. ;)

Life is Good!

redsetta

Nice one Darron - look forward to seeing the end product.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

thorhammer

It looks like it's gonna eat that Squidder like a Cheezit.   Very nice piece!!!! 

Shark Hunter

That's actually a Monofil 25.
Notice the bushings.
It still looks like a cheezit. :D
Life is Good!

thorhammer

I was looking at on phone , I see it now.  Big girl looks line pac man at lunchtime lol

Shark Hunter

I finally got around to working on this old girl.
Of all the old 14/0's I have laid my hands on, this one needed some serious work.
Everything was kept well greased on the inside, but the tests of time have took a toll on her.
Every single piece of this reel needed some attention.
I tore it completely down and the drags were slick. I almost thought they were Delrin for a minute.
The spool has some corrosion. I pulled out all my tricks. Chrome Polish, Never Dull, A overnight soak in simple green and then the Mothers Polish was the best I could do to bring it back to life.

So it begins.

Double dog complete.

I have no idea how old this reel is. If I had to take an educated guess, it is older than me. This bridge is showing some serious patina.

The original bearings are toast. The more elbow grease I put into this, the more I want to make this reel a flash from the past.
New Bearings, All new screws, Stainless Sleeve and Insert with double ss dogs.
Brand New stainless gears.

Those 14/0 springs will test your sanity.

I spent at least 8 hours on this refurb. I will fish it with confidence. ;D

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Nice job Daron!

Great before and afters, and I know what goes on in between.  I just finished up a late 40s 14/0 (actually in remarkably good condition for its age), and an old heavily used 14/0 I picked up for next to nothing (needed alot of parts).  It is satisfying seeing the end results though.  You're plate cuts look good.  I have one I have to do one of these days.  Keep sharing the pics, I for one enjoy them.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rothmar2

As John has said, keep sharing these refurbs.
What's the collection total at now?

Superhook

Beautiful work Daron . I'd say Otto would definitely order one if he could.

Dominick

Quote from: Superhook on November 28, 2015, 10:53:26 AM

Beautiful work Daron . I'd say Otto would definitely order one if he could.

Yep, if you were around during Otto's reign he would hire you in a minute.  You would be know as Daron, the Wizard of Philadelphia.  :)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

That's one sweet main gear and drag stack Daron. :o You can't put a value on time spent bringing such a reel into the modern era. End result is the fish better run and hide. :D Nice job Daron.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Thanks Guys.
This one turned out really well.
I love it when its done right the first time and no need to double check anything.
Just a tip, if anyone does a double dog on these. Those springs can make you say some things you don't normally say. I've learned some duct tape can be your friend here.
Get the springs and dogs into position and tape them down. Tighten the bridge screws and pull out the tape before final tightening. After you pick them up off the floor several times, it makes it much easier. ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Instead of using duct tape, these might make it easier

Also, if you angle the opposite side of cut out, as shown on the right, it will help push the spring inward instead of out

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Mudman

Great work! That's one heck of a reel. Not being used to seeing large reels in person, just this week I was checking out an okay shape 4/0 with Tiburon frame at a tackle store for $80. Tempted to pick it up, but was a little thrown off by the size.