how long between first and second services...

Started by ErnieK, August 11, 2015, 08:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErnieK

Hi-
Last year went thru the various tutorials and got my MXJ, JX, and HX lubed and running right.  So the question is, how long before I should crack them open again and take a look?  Thanks in advance - Ernie

Bryan Young

Hi Ernie,

How much have they been fished, what type of conditions (very wet or salt air or somewhere in-between), washing after each trip, fishing styles... are a few question to help determine how often the reel should be serviced. 

I know guys that have fished theirs for 6 months and they needed a service as well as others that I have serviced 2 years later with less issues than the reel serviced after 6 months.

On average, I would say yearly.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 11, 2015, 09:52:04 PM
Hi Ernie,

How much have they been fished, what type of conditions (very wet or salt air or somewhere in-between), washing after each trip, fishing styles... are a few question to help determine how often the reel should be serviced. 

I know guys that have fished theirs for 6 months and they needed a service as well as others that I have serviced 2 years later with less issues than the reel serviced after 6 months.

On average, I would say yearly.

X2
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ErnieK

Perfect, I'll crack em open.  They haven't been fished more than 15 days, so salt spray etc should be minimal.  Won't hurt to get into them.  Thanks - Ernie

SoCalAngler

Good to see your looking to keep your reels in tip top shape. For me I go through my reels fished that season one time a year under normal conditions. In the winter when fishing is slow for me I crack one or more open when watching football and after several weeks all are done. In most line classes I have at least one and most cases two reels in the same line classes I fish and some I have more, so not all reels will go out on every trip, heck I have a couple of reels I have had for years that still have not fished by me.

In any case the more you get into your reels will give you a better feeling when they need service. For me on the slow winter days, I break them open and dream of next years potential catches.