daiwa lever drag frame failure

Started by alantani, August 11, 2015, 09:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

daiwa lever drag frame failure

normally i would not grouse just to grouse, but these have really been a problem. 

with corrosion issues and bearing failures, these reels have always been at the bottom of my "favorites" list. 

now, a new problem.  yup, the frame is cracked! 

and not just on one side, but both!

i called the lady at daiwa usa and asked about a possible exchange.  she said that they could not exchange frames, but that i could buy one for $70.  i don't think so. 

if anyone has an extra frame laying around that they want to get rid of for cheap, let me know.  i'd love to get this reel back working again.  it's just that i had this problem once with a star drag saltiga and i coughed up $200 for buy the guy a new frame.  i am not going to do this again. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

There is a good chance they might send you a new frame on them when they see this. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Ouch.  On several cases, I would send the reel in to Daiwa and the service center would commonly replace things without charge...then I would get it back and do a complete service.  I was usually cheaper going this route...sometime.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Daiwa is amazing when they get it right.

Sometimes some pretty spectacular failures come out of them too  :(.

This is the trouble with cast frames...prone to cracking.

Jeri

We've seen this on occassions with the star drag Saltist and Saltiga, more actually on the Saltiga 50. Brand new reels just coming in for the first service, and as you loosen the top quadrant screws on the right hand cover - cracks appear.

A real downside of quite expensive reels, had one that happened right in front of the client, as he only wanted the brake blocks taken out - he wouldn't have believed me had he not seen it for himself. Brand new reel with less than 10 hours fishing - never been dropped or abused.

We get very poor service from the local agents for Diawa, a rson why we don't stock them in the shop.

Cheers

Jeri

steelfish

too bad to read this, and I was about to get one of those few months ago, luckily didnt have the enough money and ended up with a single speed fathom 40 star drag which I've never regret of buy it.

The Baja Guy