Yamaha Grease

Started by GuyA, January 05, 2011, 10:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Hi Guys,

The issues that the US suppliers have with sending oils, lubricants and any other flamable material, is the courier services, like DHL, Fedex or UPS. Being in Namibia, we have all the same problems getting some of these 'exotic' lubricants sent to us, and invariably have to find some local alternative.

For the guys in the UK, there are a number of good outboard motor greases that are fully marine grade and water proof - I used to use loads of Quicksilver products on my outboards and they rarely ever failed, and certainly didn't wash off at sea.

Just now arranging for a friend visiting the USA, to bring back TSi 301 and Xtreme Reel+, so that is the alternative.

The courier services have been hit by 'jealth and safety' issues, as well as potential hazardous materials that may contaminate their cargos or planes. Had a quotation for some two part rod resin - the freight was US$750 for a 1kg box of finishing resin - makes fishing rods become very expensive.

Hope this helps explain some of the problems.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on January 31, 2012, 04:57:15 AM
yeah, the new stuff they have is a lighter color blue.  i dunno.  i'm going use it just like i would the darker colored stuff.  i don't think it will make a difference.  i think we just have to trust that the engineers at yamaha are not out to screw us over.   ;D
The one that I'm testing is the lighter color blue :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I personally like the darker stuff better, and Jonathan has found the last pound of grease in Alan's garage...and now only his reels has that grease.  >:(

All the hype of this grease is based on what we have used over the years.  We are sure there are a lot of other grease and grease mixtures out there that are good enough and better.  As long as it suit your needs and if you do regular maintenance, you should not have any issues.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RWS

I just got a 2 cases of Yamaha Multi - Purpose Grease from a Yamaha Dealer, he had to order it, $8.99 each for a 1 pound tub and it is now RED in color, not Blue like it was.

Dynamo

To the pros, I've heard both, that any Teflon based marine grease will work on drags, and that drag grease such as Cals and Shimanos, are the only greases fit to use. As long as I use a high temp melting marine Teflon based grease on my washers, I should be okay, correct or not?

Ron Jones

I am not a pro, but I would be hesitant to do that. Drag grease is designed to increase smoothness of CF disks and that;s it. Marine grease has additives that preserve, clean and maintain viscocity. Some of those additives may effect the friction coefficient of the disks in undesirable ways. Compared to the price of a reel, Cal's is stupid cheap and easy to get. I recomend using the correct stuff.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dynamo

Drag grease is designed to increase smoothness of CF disks and that;s it.

Well, I'd be using it mainly to decrease heat buildup from the washer assembly and stop corrosion. With those things in mind, how do you think it would do? I know Cal's isn't that expensive, but I could get a 3 ounce tube of marine grade teflon grease for 9 dollars shipped, at Scott's MysticParts, the only retailer I could think of, shipping alone costs nine dollars :-\. If the Teflon grease will work, then I'm using it, cause I'm young and I have a limited budget. Every bit counts in large amounts. Thanks for your help! :)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Chase106

Hello, how long the Yamaha Marine Grease can last after opening the can? It comes in in large quantity and would be enough a lot of years, so I wanted to know if the grease would be good. Or, after a year the grease in the can would not be good?

erikpowell

I'm convinced that there is a certain amount of evaporation, separation, and/or degradation if my marine grease is left open over time...definitely...
The older sticky dark blue yamalube is a little less prone than my other light blue R.E.D. grease in the tub, but it still separates some and I have to stir it up. My tube of yamaha has been sitting open on my bench for at least a year, maybe 2.
I need to pay more attention to keeping my greases closed.   ;D

Either that or i have grease gremlins  ;D

kmstorm64

I know Yamaha grease gets a lot of attention, has anyone ever tried using High Temp Red Silicone  Bearing Grease? 
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Chase106

Quote from: erikpowell on November 12, 2013, 08:07:55 PM
I'm convinced that there is a certain amount of evaporation, separation, and/or degradation if my marine grease is left open over time...definitely...
The older sticky dark blue yamalube is a little less prone than my other light blue R.E.D. grease in the tub, but it still separates some and I have to stir it up. My tube of yamaha has been sitting open on my bench for at least a year, maybe 2.
I need to pay more attention to keeping my greases closed.   ;D

Either that or i have grease gremlins  ;D

I did not mean to leave the grease in the open air, but to leave it in the packaging just not sealed closed like a from the factory.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: kmstorm64 on November 12, 2013, 10:25:32 PM
I know Yamaha grease gets a lot of attention, has anyone ever tried using High Temp Red Silicone  Bearing Grease? 
Yes I have. I have some Mobile 1 red synthetic grease that seems to work quite well on my senators.
Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Chris Gatorfan

I found a dealer here in town that has agreed with me that if i use him as my supplier, i can get the Yamaha marine grease (blue) at $5.95 per tube if bought in bulk with an extra $15.00 off the case of 12 price. Comes out to $54.00 and change for all the grease i need per case.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

jigmaster501

Has anyone tried the 3 ounce cartridges of Sta-Lube Marine Grease?

It is light blue and I have used it for a year. It seems ok.

I still use Cals on the drags though.