Yamaha Grease

Started by GuyA, January 05, 2011, 10:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

yeah, it's sticky, tacky and i've always hated working with it.  i dunno, just one of those things.  i think it would work fine, and i would use it if that's all i had access to, but i just took an immediate disliking to it.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

amoebasurgeon

I've read that someone greased the screws and screw holes on a reel and it created dimples on the aluminum frame. It baffles me how grease can have this kind of reaction to aluminum, which begs the question "What kind of grease was it?!". From what I have read, Yamaha Marine Grease seems to be the only safe option. I live in OKC and a tube of Yamaha Marine grease is about $7 but the shipping is $10. For about $4 I can get a tube of Mystik JT-6 High Performance Marine Grease down the road at Bass Pro. Is this a good choice?

Frank

The dimples could have been caused by the to much grease being forced into the screw hole cavity by the screw. It has no place to escape so it dimples the aluminum or worse cracks something.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

jay2578

It seems Yamaha grease recommended here is very difficult to source in the UK, is there an alternative someone could suggest please?
I could buy some of the Yam grease from overseas but p&p and imports would mean paying stupid money for it.

Thanks
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Alto Mare

You should be ok using this:
https://www.mysticparts.com/LubesCleaners/Penn/ANGPCK.aspx
This is what I use and its doing just fine.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jay2578

Thanks,
Does the Penn grease give a similar level of corrosion protection to the Yamaha stuff?
I have seen some other marine greases available that quote 'water resistant and corrosion protection' and just wonder if they'd be suitable? I guess any protection is better than none right?
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

alantani

the penn stuff should be fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: jay2578 on February 23, 2014, 01:05:30 PM
Thanks,
Does the Penn grease give a similar level of corrosion protection to the Yamaha stuff?
I have seen some other marine greases available that quote 'water resistant and corrosion protection' and just wonder if they'd be suitable? I guess any protection is better than none right?

Look up Sal's (altomare) fine post were he actually coated some steel nails with 3 different greases and then soaked them in saltwater for a couple of weeks. Marine grease and Penn's product seemed superior to plain (if I recall correctly) so the additives that make it appropriate for immersion in saltwater appear to be real and effective.

After that, the question is the viscosity of the grease. Some are thicker and can lead to some reels feeling a little sluggish. I like the Penn grease particularly for spinners (lighter) but have some heavy stiff stuff sold by West Marine that I stick in conventionals the theory being it may adhere longer to the gear surfaces being thicker.

Anything is better than nothing but the marine additives seem to be for real and worth using. If you don't have any choice then any marine bearing grease will work fine. If it's very thick you can "cut" it with Corrosion-X to thin it down to your preference.

best regards

jay2578

Thanks for the replies, got a 1lb tub of Penn grease on order.
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Shark Hunter

You can't go wrong with Penn Blue. That's all I use! ;)
Life is Good!

amoebasurgeon

Quote from: Frank on February 22, 2014, 09:01:20 PM
The dimples could have been caused by the to much grease being forced into the screw hole cavity by the screw. It has no place to escape so it dimples the aluminum or worse cracks something.

I still don't understand how this can happen. If I coat the inside of an aluminum side plate with marine grease, doesn't it also "have no place to escape" or are you saying that the pressure that was applied was the culprit?

MFB

Grease is actually a liquid & like all liquids cannot be compressed so when you a screwing a screw into a blind tapped hole with an excess of grease in the cavity once the grease has filled the gaps between the male & female thread it has nowhere else to go, so it find the path of least resistance which maybe the porosity in the aluminium or in an extreme case you could actually strip the thread.

Rgds

Mark     
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Shark Hunter

I can see it happening. Just don't pack that much grease in there!
Life is Good!

Frank

Yes, pressure. Just coat the threads. Don't pack the screw hole or leave a blob on the tip of the screw before installing.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

handi2

I have dimpled a reel in 2 places because I forgot to wipe the grease off the end of the screw before assembly. This was a while back but it can happen really easy if your not careful.

When you grease the side plates on a machined aluminum frame make sure there is no grease in the holes. If the holes are tapped all the way thru no problem.

The Okuma Titus reels are almost tapped all the way thru. They will dimple or even break thru on the spool side if too much grease is used. Don't ask me how I know..!!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL