Daiwa SL20SH rebuild drags and handle.

Started by Phishface, August 13, 2015, 05:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phishface

Hi

I bought the SL20SH upgrade kit a few years ago and I'm in the middle of finely doing the conversion.
I have some questions, is it worth doing the carbontex drag washer upgrade? The drags in the reel look like there in decent condition, what would the upgrade gain me?
The handel is a little trashed, my buddy gave me the reel after punishing it for 8 years because he lost a big tuna on it, the handle took the brunt of the punishment. Where can I get a handle upgrade for the SL20SH?

Thank you guys.

Rancanfish

I can't comment on the handle because I have no knowledge, but the Carbontex upgrade is great.

I use them even on the Levelmatics. Is it needed? Probably not. But it has such a smooth start up. I also have the regular Ht-100's in one. I believe it's almost as smooth.  I will be using the Carbontex drags in the future exclusively.  I don't need an increase in drag power as much as the silky non-jerky drag in any of my reels.

Hope that helps.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

LTM

If your willing to do the frame upgrade, then you'd be remiss in not upgrading to cf drags. You can use the handle to the new diawas (SL-X, Big Game, Saltist).

Leo

Phishface

Thank you both for your reply, yes it helps, allot, and your right Leo It would not be right to spend the time and effort rebuilding this reel and not upgrading the drags as well. I'll look into the handle you've suggested.

Thank you again,

Jerome.

SoCalAngler

I upgraded the drags in my sl20sh conversion and added a Tiburon T-Bar Lite handle.

Edit: I also replaced the bushing on the right side of the spool with a bearing hoping for better freespool but I did not gain much by doing so. Would I look to do this again? No, but since I was inside the reel already I gave it a shot.

MarkT

I like the stock slosh handle. I put them on my Penn GS reels since the stock Penn handles were horrible! I put the Penn Torque handle on my 525 Mag so that would fit the slosh too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on August 15, 2015, 01:57:12 AM
I like the stock slosh handle. I put them on my Penn GS reels since the stock Penn handles were horrible! I put the Penn Torque handle on my 525 Mag so that would fit the slosh too.

A Torque handle will fit but it is a bit sloppy since one is standard (Penn) and the other metric (Daiwa). The Torque handle is about a mm or 2 wider than the Daiwa shaft. Not alot for sure but still there is wiggle room.

MarkT

The only problem I had with the slosh handle on the GS was that you need to use the Daiwa metric screw and you need to drift the hole in the Penn nut cap out a little for the Daiwa screw to fit. I think I put 4 Diawa handles to Penns... 525, 2 x 535 and 545.  I think I still have a 525, 535 and 545. I definitely have the 525 Mag with the Torque handle as my 20# reel!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Phishface

Just finished the rebuild tonight, thank you guys for all the advice, I got the Carbontex drags and the T-bar handle from Smoooooth Drag, going on a three day out of SD second week of September, I can't wait to fish it.
I was thinking of putting 40lb braid on this reel, is that to heavy?

Jerome.

SoCalAngler

Ah you went full metal nice. I like fishing mine at 30 lb test but I fish a high 30 test drag so it could fish a lighter 40 lb test drag. I spooled my reel with a 8 strand 40 lb spectra with 300 yards and I got a short topper on it, like 6-10 foot of 30 lb fluorocarbon. If fishing a 40 lb topper I'd want at least 50 lb spectra backing and that will drop the yardage you can get on the reel. Can it be done with over 40 lb spectra? Yes, but I like it at a 30 lb reel with 40 lb backing better because when I'm hitting 40 lb test I'm looking at bigger fish and 300 yards may not be enough for our style of fishing and this is also where I start to look at two speed reels. In most cases it will be fine but if you hook a 80 lber or on a very long soak you may be in trouble with a heavier spectra than 40 lb and I don't want to fish 30 lb toppers on that sized fish.

So 40 lb spectra will be fine as long as you keep the topper at or below 30 lb test IMO.

Rancanfish

Just wanted to say I appreciate socal's real world advice here.  I get answers I didn't know I needed.

Phishface, your reel looks awesome.

Fishermanny

SoCalAngler, would you happen to know the max drag on the SL20SH? I've looked everywhere and have come up empty handed. I'm wondering, because if I'm putting 50lb braid, and a short topshot of 30 or 40#, I just want to make sure that it'd be able to handle 8 or 10 lbs drag without damaging the internals, or the frame. Phishface, I'm also thinking about upgrading to the metal frame. How do you like the metal frame upgrade? Because even without it, I love this little reel! (I have a few 20's, 30's and one 50).

Rancanfish

Fishermanny,  SoCal will be back online at some point I'm sure. 

However this thread is from 2015 so you may have to send a private message to get your answer.

Good luck and welcome to AT.com

SoCalAngler

I put my reel on a rod today and tested it to 15lbs of drag and it was buttery smooth. When I started to get to 16-17 lbs it got a little jerky, not much but I have other reels I'd fish at this lb of test on so no worries here.

Like I said I fish 30 lb toppers on my SL20SH with modded frame, handle and greased Carbontex drags at 9 -10 lbs and have full confidence in the reel at these drag numbers.

With a stock frame and drags I'd be worried at these drag numbers. Two reasons why. First the stock felt drags will most likely get sticky at some point, you may set your drags say at 9 lbs and with the stock drags getting sticky it may jump a few pounds over that number causing topshot breakage or damage to the rod or reel. Second, frame flex. The SL20SH and SL30SH have the same internals like gears, shaft and such but the 30 is wider (which also means a longer shaft) and could have more flex. Frame flex can change the alignment of the shaft, spool, gears, reel foot and more.

These stock reels are very nice and 8 lbs of drag should not be out of the question but if you want to bump them up further and have the reel last for many, many seasons, or a lifetime I'd start with upgraded drags. Now if you fish in a area where you hook a fish where the 8 lbs just isn't enough to stop a fish and you need to button down the drags, for me I'd start looking at a new frame also.

With the above said If I was looking to buy a new frame, drags, a better handle with the cost of the awesome new frames from SoCal Fishing and Hunting, and yes they are great, I may just buy an whole different reel and the coast may be less expensive than the upgrade cost alone.

I got a fished one time only SL20SH for dirt cheap, bought the older style frame without clamp or clicker, upgraded the drags and handle. Since that time I did another upgrade to the new sideplate with clicker and I'm very happy with the reel.

If now I was looking to go with the whole ball of wax I may start to look at other reels.

Here is how the reel looks now, you may see some dings and scratches but that is because I use the reels I build. No need for me to have a reel that won't be fished.

spize909

Quote from: Phishface on August 25, 2015, 06:20:56 AM
Just finished the rebuild tonight, thank you guys for all the advice, I got the Carbontex drags and the T-bar handle from Smoooooth Drag, going on a three day out of SD second week of September, I can't wait to fish it.
I was thinking of putting 40lb braid on this reel, is that to heavy?

Jerome.

I believe you need to flip that crank for your handle over. It's made to go the other way, clear the star and what not and make the reel more compact and less prone to twist while fighting a fish.......... ;D