Penn 8500SS Main Gear Issue

Started by Jason Groombridge, August 14, 2015, 12:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Groombridge

G'day Guys,

I got this Penn Spinfisher 8500SS in for repair today. It would not retrieve line under load but appeared to work fine with no load.

After cracking it open I discovered that the roll pins that hold the main gear to its shaft had backed out about 2mm which meant that the main gear was then spinning on its shaft and explains why it wouldn't retrieve line. The pins have been contacting the side cover and have ground out a bit of material which can be seen in a pile at the top of the side cover.

I had a look on Scott's and while it is possible to get a replacement aluminium gear you also need to replace the pinion to match. Unfortunately it looks like the pinion is no longer available.

In any case I think I can fix it. I reckon I can clean the gear up, use some 680 Loctite and press the gear and shaft back together, then re-insert the pins also with some loctite and hopefully it should be OK.

This is the first US made spinfisher I've ever opened up. I really like the deisgn, the main gear bearings are massive. It's a pity they no longer make these and that parts are running out.

Cheers

Jason

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Jason Groombridge

G'day Daron,

Thanks for the link, I'll check with the customer and see what he thinks.

Cheers

Jason

Jason Groombridge

I ended up fixing the gear!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!