Fatties Sweet & Hot

Started by ChileRelleno, August 15, 2015, 10:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

My kids kayaking class got rained out so we went to the GSP to fish.
But Mother Nature decided to straight up storm, so home we went.

Rather than just do nothing I made Fatties, one Hot and one Sweet.
And the kiddies made English Muffin Peanut/Apple Delights for dessert.

Hot
1#Thick cut, Smoked bacon
2# Hot Sausage
Onions/Green Pepper
Hillbilly Gunpowder seasoning
Garlic powder
Pepper Jack cheese
smoke/indirect heat or bake at 275'-350' till internal temp of 165'-170'

Sweet
1#Thick cut, Applewood bacon
2# Maple sausage
Honey Ham
Provolone cheese
Apple Wood rub
Brown Sugar Bourbon rub
smoke/indirect heat or bake at 275'-350' till internal temp of 165'-170'

Dessert
English Muffins
Peanut butter
apple slices
Sugar/Cinammon mix
Butter
Spread muffin with peanut butter, layer apple slices, cover with sugar/cinammon and top with a big pat of butter.
Bake at 350' till sugar butter starts to melt together, then broil to caramelize (careful not to burn)

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Big Tim

Got to tell ya Chile I may need a lawyer. I darn near choked on my beer when I read the title  ;D Looks good now that I'm up off the floor.

Big Tim

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Big Tim on August 15, 2015, 11:46:02 PM
Got to tell ya Chile I may need a lawyer. I darn near choked on my beer when I read the title  ;D Looks good now that I'm up off the floor.

Big Tim
LMAO, ya don't need a recipe for those, just beer goggles  :D
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

TIPS & TRICKS

Two ways of rolling these.
Weave bacon, spread sausage and fillings on top of bacon and roll.
Weave bacon, spread sausage on plastic wrap, fill, roll/seal and then wrap weave around roll.

A tight weave of the bacon is a must.
Stretch that bacon as you weave, it'll go further than you think.

Some people put the sausage between two pieces of plastic and roll it out.
I like to use my hands to press it out.

Seal the seams/ends well or cheese/fillings will finds it's way out.

Some people chill before cooking to set the roll's shape, I like to wrap in foil and cook for 30 minutes at 275' then uncover and finish at 350'.

Cook to internal temp of 165-170'.
Ragnar Benson:

Reel 224

WOW! :o I could feel my arteries hardening as I was reading your recipe, and my mouth was watering at the same time. Very nice looking loaf, Ill bet it was tasty. YES! ;D

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

MFB

Nice, there are only two food groups

1. Food that can be improved by the addition of bacon
2. Food that can be improved by the addition on chocolate

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

ChileRelleno

Chocolate covered bacon is danged near heavenly.
Ragnar Benson:

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 16, 2015, 01:36:17 AM
WOW! :o I could feel my arteries hardening as I was reading your recipe, and my mouth was watering at the same time. Very nice looking loaf, Ill bet it was tasty. YES! ;D

Joe   
Exactly what i was going to say ;D.
John knows how to cook tasty food, too bad my doctor said, if it taste good and smells good don't eat it :( ...can't win.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Our docs must be involved in a conspiracy to keep us from eating anything that tastes good.
Ragnar Benson:

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 16, 2015, 10:42:23 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on August 16, 2015, 01:36:17 AM

Joe   
Exactly what i was going to say ;D.
John knows how to cook tasty food, too bad my doctor said, if it taste good and smells good don't eat it :( ...can't win.

Sal Do you know why Doctors say don't eat it? Because they want it for themselves! ;D ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Quote from: ChileRelleno on August 16, 2015, 02:01:32 PM
Our docs must be involved in a conspiracy to keep us from eating anything that tastes good.

Your Children peering over the sheet of apples and peanut butter is priceless. ;D

David Hall

Quote from: ChileRelleno on August 16, 2015, 12:24:11 AM
TIPS & TRICKS

Two ways of rolling these.
Weave bacon, spread sausage and fillings on top of bacon and roll.
Weave bacon, spread sausage on plastic wrap, fill, roll/seal and then wrap weave around roll.

A tight weave of the bacon is a must.
Stretch that bacon as you weave, it'll go further than you think.

Some people put the sausage between two pieces of plastic and roll it out.
I like to use my hands to press it out.
Where's your smoker?  Smoked fatties are the best my friend!  And all you who listen to your doctors about not eating them, we'll all I have to say is that's what you get for talking to your doctor! 
Never discuss food with a medical professional.  They will always tell you whatever the latest medical craze is.
It's got gluten in it, it'll raise your bad cholesterol, it's bad for your heart, it's bad for your arteries,  I say don't ask don't tell. 

Seal the seams/ends well or cheese/fillings will finds it's way out.

Some people chill before cooking to set the roll's shape, I like to wrap in foil and cook for 30 minutes at 275' then uncover and finish at 350'.

Cook to internal temp of 165-170'.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 16, 2015, 02:04:49 PM

Your Children peering over the sheet of apples and peanut butter is priceless. ;D
Thanks, they wanted dessert first and were watching Momma closely.
Ragnar Benson:

David Hall

What?  Fatties aren't desert?

Dominick

Quote from: Big Tim on August 15, 2015, 11:46:02 PM

Big Tim
If you slipped on your saliva I think we have a case.   ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.