Completed the Conversion

Started by Reel 224, August 16, 2015, 04:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Randy: All I can say is WoW!! :o Great frame and what an improvement to my Penn Surfmaster 200. Here are the pictures I just took of the finished frame, I couldn't wait for the new spool that you are sending but as soon as it gets here I will put that in place of the old spool any way I took several pictures because I am so pleased with the outcome with the new handle and body. The spool actually spins better in free spool then it did originally and feels much more solid. Man I love it. Thanks. Okay here are the pictures with the old parts in the background and the only tool I need to make the conversion.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

I have to add these pictures  ;D

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

MarkT

Nice! You get better freespool because the one piece frame holds the sideplates in better alignment than the old multi-piece bars/stand. It's not just about looking cool but that doesn't hurt!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Doug

Very nice Joe. I like the color of the frame. I have a 100 with a blue trib frame. The accurate frame has the nice feature of the reel foot being part of the frame. Now it starts you need a SS gear sleeve  98-155AT, and then maybe Bryan's 5 stack drag , great if the reel has the old type steel main gear, and   add a SS dog and heavy duty spacing sleeve and you will have a small tank. The heavy spacing sleeve is a cheap worthwhile improvement even if you don't do anything else.   Doug

Reel 224

Quote from: Doug on August 16, 2015, 05:19:56 PM
Very nice Joe. I like the color of the frame. I have a 100 with a blue trib frame. The accurate frame has the nice feature of the reel foot being part of the frame. Now it starts you need a SS gear sleeve  98-155AT, and then maybe Bryan's 5 stack drag , great if the reel has the old type steel main gear, and   add a SS dog and heavy duty spacing sleeve and you will have a small tank. The heavy spacing sleeve is a cheap worthwhile improvement even if you don't do anything else.   Doug

I was lookin to make a change to the Gear sleeve, where can i find the 98-155AT I already changed to Bryan's 5 stack. The main gear is Brass, And the heavy Spacer where do I find that?

Joe 

Doug

Hi Joe if you want a steel main gear I may have one I can give you   used but in good shape I'll have to check in my parts box. Pro challenger / Black pearl on this site has  the spacing sleeve under$4 The SS gear sleeve  Try Alan or Bryan , Scotts has a limited supply they maybe out  you will have to check with them and finally Smooth Drag may have some check with Dawn   Doug

David Hall

Sweet, what size frame is that?  I just picked up a 200 and just starting to think about upgrades for it.

Reel 224

Quote from: David Hall on August 16, 2015, 06:07:42 PM
Sweet, what size frame is that?  I just picked up a 200 and just starting to think about upgrades for it.

Honestly I'm not sure of the size but Randy @ Vintage Offshore Tackle has more frames for the 200. Ill say this, it is a great improvement for that reel as far as the one I just did, like from a Chev to a Cadillac.

Doug: Thanks for the help in locating more goodies for my 200, If you locate that steel gear PM me and Ill send you the money for part and postage.

Joe

Doug

Joe I know I have 2 main gears in steel somewhere They are in good shape and stronger than the brass  ,you already have a reel that will push the limits of the brass gear. The steel gears just need to be well greased.  You can  have the gear NC just PM the address I'll send regular mail  If you get the SS gear sleeve get a SS dog for it .   Doug

Reel 224

Quote from: Doug on August 16, 2015, 08:05:52 PM
Joe I know I have 2 main gears in steel somewhere They are in good shape and stronger than the brass  ,you already have a reel that will push the limits of the brass gear. The steel gears just need to be well greased.  You can  have the gear NC just PM the address I'll send regular mail  If you get the SS gear sleeve get a SS dog for it .   Doug

Okay Doug I have PMed Alan and Black Pearl for the other parts Ill let Alan know that I need the SS Dog also, may as well change the spring as well. Ill send you a PM now with my address.

Joe

Doug

Yes the dog and spring are cheap and with the SS gear sleeve the brass one won't last long. I'll look for the main gear tonight . Doug

Rancanfish

Good work Joe.

I am doing a test on my reels with SS gear sleeves.  I am leaving them all with brass dogs. We will see if there really is a danger of them failing quickly.  I think we have a tendency to overbuild these reels beyond the demands we put on them.

David Hall, there is a member selling a purple Accurate frame in the for sale section.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Reel 224

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 17, 2015, 02:22:17 AM
Good work Joe.

I am doing a test on my reels with SS gear sleeves.  I am leaving them all with brass dogs. We will see if there really is a danger of them failing quickly.  I think we have a tendency to overbuild these reels beyond the demands we put on them.

David Hall, there is a member selling a purple Accurate frame in the for sale section.

You may be right, but its my experience building competition had guns and shot guns as well as rifles, that every little bit helps. To me these Reels are our tools and the better the tool the easier the job is. Besides I'm hopping to put a large demand on my 200....like a 50# or better Stripe Bass. Having come from some what of an Engineering background I tend to over kill my build anyway. ;D ;D

Joe

Rancanfish

My biggest ever was a 30+ caught on a Daiwa Sg17Lc.  Was no strain with a light drag.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Reel 224

I'm pretty sure a 50+ Stripe bass wouldn't be a problem for the 200 just as it is but I like to do excess things to my toys, and since I'm confined to quarters now I'm needing to do something. ;D I would start on another rod but until I get straightened out I'm not going to far with that yet. You have me beat with the 30# bass, nice fish!

Joe