Penn 555 won't freespool

Started by bcontento, August 17, 2015, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcontento

I picked up this reel cheap. Really good shape on the outside, drag seemed to be in good working order, spool seems smooth, but it won't move into freespool.

Here is a link to the schematic: https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/555gs.pdf

I'll use the part numbers in my explanation of the issue to help.

When I move the eccentric lever (P#21) from retrieve to freespool, it doesn't go all the way (like it's getting stuck on something internally). I opened it up and tried to ID the issue, but can't figure it out. Everything seems to be in place.

The lever moves a little cam inside (Eccentric P#19) that has a small post that fits into a little hole on a large sliding plate ( eccentric jack P#11). When the lever is flipped, the cam turns and that in turn is supposed to move the plate up or down. When flipping the lever to freespool, the plate is supposed to move down toward the pinion gear (P#13). It seems like the plate isn't traveling as far down as it is supposed to, keeping the lever from moving all the way to freespool.

What I can't wrap my head around is that that plate doesn't seem like it does anything to interact with the gearing at all. the little lever (P#15 - the dog) that would seem to control the gearing being able to freespool, isn't affected by that plate - the only internal part moved by the lever. If I manually move the dog a bit, I can get the spool to spin.

the plate (P#11) seems to be oriented correctly based on the schematic, but it doesn't slide past the pinion yoke (P#12) over or under. it kind of just meets up against the pinion gear (P#13).

Is that plate supposed to move under or over the pinion yoke or just meet up with it like it does? What moving part interacts with the dog/gearing to enable it to freespool?

thanks!!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Fish-aholic

The pinion gear and the spools fixed axle (both dotted red) look to be fused together from corrosion. The spools axle needs to be able to slide freely within the pinion gears bore.  ;)

Fish-aholic

Oh, and welcome to Alan's neighbourhood!  ;D

bcontento

Quote from: Fish-aholic on August 17, 2015, 11:33:13 AM
The spools axle needs to be able to slide freely within the pinion gears bore.  ;)

ahhhh! ok, so if the pinion gear could slide freely up and down the axle, then would I be correct to assume that the eccentric jack would then slide under the eccentric yoke, raising the pinion gear enough above the main drive gear so as to disengage it allowing freespool?!

and thanks for the welcome and reply!

Fish-aholic

You're correct, but it's not the clearing of the main gear that gives free spool, it's the head of the pinion gear being elevated away from the keyed part of the spool axle (circled) which gives you free spool.  ;)

bcontento

Its like a lightbulb went off in my head.I couldn't for the live of me figure that out.

So the $1000000 question...Can I break the pinion gear and shaft free without breaking something? Ideas on how I might try? Liquid wrench + brute force correctly applied?

Fish-aholic

If the spool is aluminium, heating (soldering iron) and cooling (oil/penetration fluid) will see the metals expand and retract which will help break the binding of the two. You could gently tap out the spools axle with a nylon hammer, though, care is needed not to mushroom the tip of the axle shaft in the process. Two flat head screwdrivers placed either side of the pinion gear and twist can also do it. A few ways to skin a cat.  ;)

bcontento

So with the left side plate off (the other side), if the spool shaft were free, the spool would slide out that way? I'll try gently heating and cooling and tapping it out.

Thanks so much!

Fish-aholic

Yes, remove the left side plate before attempting any mild tapping. ;)

bcontento

well, a little heat, a little oil, and a little brute force and VIOLA. I had to remove the pinion yoke in order to push out the entire spool with the fused gear still on it. That required some flexing of the yoke itself but it didn't break. Once I had the spool out, I was able to separate the gear and shaft. I used my wire wheel to polish up the shaft, cleaned all the gunk out I could, oil up the shaft and gear and slid it back together. It seemed to slide nicely on the shaft.

I put it all back together, but I think the combination of flexing the metal yoke and the force applied to the gear to pull it caused a little too much damage. the plate wont slide easily under the yoke easily lifting the yoke and gear against the springs. I'm thinking that I need to replace the gear, yoke and springs.