A dream realized

Started by Prof. Salt, August 17, 2015, 10:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

You guys know that I paddle/fish/catch plenty of the usual offshore contenders, but yesterday while competing in the Bluewater Kayak Classic I made a spur of the moment decision that will be a cherished memory for a long time. After visiting one of the normal rig sets and finding the bite slow, I took advantage of zero wind and I kept paddling offshore. I was heading for a distant rig that had held a few big cobia days earlier, but I also noticed that the shrimper who had been pulling back and forth out there had pulled in his nets and anchored up. I know what that means, so I quickly altered course for the tiny boat on the horizon. I was enjoying the beauty of nature and dragging a ribbon on one rod and a live blue runner on the other as I headed over the horizon and out of sight of the island. Suddenly the blue runner rod bent and let out a couple feet of line as the clicker yelped for me to look. I grabbed the rod, advanced the lever drag and turned off the clicker to see if the fish would return...

The rod lurched again and I reacted to set the hooks. As the line came tight, a beautiful big bull Mahi came out of the water with my blue runner hanging out of his mouth. The poor runner's face was inside the bull's mouth, but there was no way the hooks were any danger to the larger fish, and he spit the bait as he crashed back down on the glassy surface. I quickly reeled in and threw the ribbon bait that direction ...nothing. I started paddling and WHAM he smacked the bait and came up again, flashing his spectacular silver and white with a wild electric blue crest in a long tail walk. I had him on for long enough to get my confidence up as he danced all over the surface. I think it was the third or fourth jump that he was able to loose the hooks. As he left he was gliding just under the surface, and he arced around the front of the kayak, headed offshore at a rapid clip. What a sight! I was sad but elated at the same time. I had just hooked and fought a bull Mahi from my kayak... on the Texas coast! They rarely come within kayak distance here, so this was a very special event and I knew it.

I re-baited and began paddling again, and within 30 seconds the new Ribbonfish was eaten by yet another fish. Yep, another Mahi came walking across the surface in a frantic attempt to get free. This one had the typical coloration and was almost 40 inches long. It was smaller than the silver bull, but was still a great fish! She danced and thrashed all around the kayak, tangling lines and during one leap she actually managed to tangle the main line with the lure hook on my spinning rod. There I was, trying with all my ability to untangle lines and hooks, hoping the fish would just hold steady as I got it all straightened out.

Well I did get it straight, and as she came under the edge of the kayak I was able to get the gaff in her and pull the fish into my lap. Woohoo, I had landed a Mahi! At thirty nine inches she was a nice specimen and would make a rare treat for dinner. I fished around the area hoping to find more of the colorful fish, but never did. I continued to the shrimper and circled through the chum line several times, with baits high in the water, then suspended them low but there just weren't any other fish around. I knew that within a couple of hours fish would show, but I had to make the weigh-in.  I finished the day having paddled just over twenty miles and had a great time.

Here's a screengrab of the silver and white bull jumping after it inhaled my second bait:

Rancanfish

Wow. Great treat.

Now get your feet in.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shark Hunter

Great work Professor! That is Awesome! ;D
Life is Good!

Prof. Salt

Rancanfish, on the way back to shore I got overheated so I floated on my back beside the kayak for a while. It was very refreshing! My buddy just took photos and continued to sweat, lol.

Rancanfish

Did you at least keep your feet in the yak?   ;D

You are living the life man, don't stop.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ChileRelleno

Applause & Congratulations on the two Mahi. ;)

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Wow! Great job Prof.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coastal_dan

Awesome...20 miles in a day...WOW!  Good on 'ya.  I really enjoy your posts!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Prof. Salt

Thanks Dan, I paddled 20 miles on Thursday and felt worn out. Saturday I planned to keep the distance limited to 10 or 12, but then I spotted that shrimper offshore and it was on!

I finished the long paddle and felt great... I guess once you paddle yourself into shape it's much easier. Unfortunately this week I'm tied down all week with the J-O-B but Saturday if weather allows I will be looking for a sail or mahi once again. ;D

David Hall

wow how friggen awesome is that!
what an opportunity, I think you joined a very elite group with that fish, I dont imagine theres many who can say they hooked p and landed a DODO from a yak.
I love watching your adventures, keep em coming.

Doug

Wow Thanks for sharing  Doug

redsetta

Great post Prof - thanks for sharing!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Newell Nut

That mahi pic is really cool looking. Congratulations.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

alantani

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 17, 2015, 10:38:03 PM
Wow. Great treat.

Now get your feet in.   ;D

i was thinking the same thing!!!!! congrats!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!