Senator drag washers, gears sizes etc

Started by AlasKen, August 18, 2015, 12:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

First off thanks for all the great info.  I really like to fish vintage Penn senator reels.  Some are more vintage than others.  My wife says I am getting old and just like old stuff.  I try to tell her that some old stuff is better than new.  I am not sure she buys it, perhaps because she walked away laughing, 38 years and counting.   

I am looking to put together a set of 2/0, 3/0 H, 4/0 H, reels to use on my personal boat.  I am still learning this stuff so the question I have is are the inner drivetrains a different size with each?  I assume it is and that the parts are not interchangeable.  I am thinking that I would go with something close to Alan T's Kahn special upgrades as opposed to a full tank.  This is a SS handle, 6/0 Grip, SS gear sleeve, SS dog, and a 5+1 drag washer kit. 

I am also planning to slowly as I find them accumulate a set of 3 for each of my 2 grandkids (2 and 5) to give to them on their 18th birthday.  Hopefully they will have been using Papa's reels on the boat and will appreciate the nostalgia of the gift even if they are into the latest and greatest.  Hopefully if I am doing my job right they will appreciate the vintage stuff.  I will plan to have them servicing boat reels as they get old enough as part of the experience of fishing on the boat.  If not there is always EBay.

So with that brief explanation in mind does the upgrade I am considering sound reasonable?  I live in AK and primarily fish 3 ways.  Trolling with downriggers for salmon which I thought the 2/0 would work as I currently use some 209's.  Jigging for salmon, rockfish, Ling Cod, or Halibut, and thought the 2/0 and 3/0 would work for this depending on species.  Soaking bait on the bottom when fishing for halibut and currently use a 4/0 for this.  I would like to start with a set of 2 of each for boat rods.  Of course like most here I would have a bunch of other stuff that I use as well.  I like my Charter Specials for trolling salmon and jigging lings. 

I welcome thoughts as to the upgrades mentioned above.  Any insight on the different size Senators is welcome as well.  Ken

Rancanfish

I think that is a great idea Ken.  I'll likely never see my grandkids but I think that would be cool.

And your assumptions are correct too, all of them are going to be different I think as far as parts. As far as upgrades you can do a bit of shopping at a time, then knock out a couple of reels and stash them. The reels will work for the Grandkids' kids with the improvements.

I have a stash of reels that I hope someone uses someday. But I bet my kids sell 'em off fast when the day comes....oh well, I'm enjoying them. Same with my collection of guitars....
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.