exw50 making odd sound

Started by Scobrey, August 20, 2015, 01:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scobrey

Posted this in the general questions section, figured afterwards it should have been here.  After using the site for a couple of years to answer all my reel questions I finally hit a dead end and joined.  I recently bought a used Avet exw50, it looks to be in good shape with few scratches etc...  It functions as it should and as I expected.  However, it makes a metallic sound almost like a bell when I quickly move the handle back and forth.  This only occurs from about have way up the drag range and more, at every preset I tried.  When I remove the left side plate and spool assembly it stops.  I seems to be coming from right where the handle goes into the gear box.  Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

sharkman

My brand new exw 50 makes the same sound

Tightlines667

Sounds like this is perfectly normal for this reel.  If may be the dogs engaging or the drag plate.  Either of these can be quieted some with dabs of grease on the parts making the offending noise.  To nail down where 8t is coming from just problem shoot by testing each sub assembly separately until you find the source.  I have worked on these reels, but can't remember this being an issue.  I don'the have one on my bench currently to take a look at though.  A short video here might help.  I know some of the other Avetside make some noise, and this is normal.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sharkman

Thanks John. It doesn't have a troubling sound. It does sound like maybe dogs