Delrin top washer on a Baja Special

Started by steelfish, August 21, 2015, 12:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, I bought this reel used and it was on really good conditions, it even had a white delrin washer on the top of the drag stack, it was there instead of the stock pressure metal washer, since the Delrin washer is thicker than the pressure washer it was one or the other after the drag stack but it cannot be both in place.

BUT for my liking it had a lot of play with the drive shaft and also the metal tube spacer barely sit correctly on the inner edges of that Delrin washer, it might worked before with no problems and I maybe overthinking it but I didnt felt confident if I have to crank the star strong enough and move the tube spacer out from the edges of the inner diameter of the delrin washer and cause a mess while fighting a good sized fish.

the white Delrin washer has a conical form, almost like the pressure washer in some reels could work really good, but on this reel it has some lateral movements while the tube spacer stays firm and centered on the drive shaft.

well after thinking few times if leave it like that and give it a try or going back to the old stock setting (metal pressure washer and metal tube spacer after the drag stack), then I remembered having some thin 0.20 ultra wear resistant Delrin washer that Sal sent me for the 112h and 113h (again thanks Sal).

so, lets try luck with some of those

the lucky one was the Delrin washer for the 112h since the inner hole is bit smaller than the 113h washer.

here its the Delrin washer installed, as you can see the inner hole is smaller than the one on the white washer reducing the movements to side to side of the washer.

then the pressure metal washer (which it was taken out when the white delrin washer was installed in place)

and last the metal spacer tube, which logically now it sits perfectly on the metal pressure washer and gives an steady force to the whole drag stack BUT now with the smoothness of the new Delrin washer in place.

not made any test to check the smoothness while cracking 18# of bricks  like Sal use to do, he's the master of the custom CF drags tests and Delrin washer tester and it had always worked wonders for him, I prefer to test my new Delrin mod with a fish while taking line from the reel, but that will have to wait few more weeks until the summer is gone for good.

thanks Sal for those Delrin washers, they saved the day.

PS: the undergear washer on this reel is already a Delrin one, so its now all covered top and bottom

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

I'm glad  you're getting it ready, let us know the results.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fsrmn

I did the same setup (delrin top and bottom) on my Baja with some delrin material Sal sent me. Works great!
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

steelfish

Quote from: fsrmn on August 21, 2015, 03:34:30 AM
I did the same setup (delrin top and bottom) on my Baja with some delrin material Sal sent me. Works great!

cool, thanks for let me know, I now will fish it with no mercy on my next fishing trip

The Baja Guy