I went fishing again, and...

Started by Prof. Salt, August 21, 2015, 03:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

...caught my personal best Cobia! This was last Thursday, two days before the Mahi trip, and this one was just under 20 miles as well giving me 40 for the week. Fun fun fun!

broschro

you dog you! nice work love me some Cobia

Reel 224

First, nice fish very nice. That hook, was it in you leg? Next question; How long does it take to paddle seven miles?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Prof. Salt

The hook was in my leg until the fish jerked it out, lol. I just pulled it out of my pant leg.

I try not to look at the time when I'm out there unless I'm racing back to weigh-in. Probably about 2-2.5 hours though if I'm trolling as I go.

Reel 224

You are lucky...in a way, that the hook pulled out that quick. Short story, I had a Buddy fishing with me and my son in a small 14' aluminum boat. His plug got hung in an overhang branch, he gave it a hard jerk and it flew back to the boat, everyone looked at each other with the same dumb look until my son said here it is went right into his inner thigh. Off to the emergency room to have it removed.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Prof. Salt

I've been there ...once. Now my hooks have small barbs so I have a chance to back them out. They hold fish well, but it sure is better for those rare times that I become the bait.

kmstorm64

We got a guy in our club who go 7 miles one way for halibut.  Another guy who puts in 12-15 for salmon.  Me 3-5 is a good day.  It really gets down to using your body core muscles and not your arm muscles.  You can go a lot further with those.  Save the arms for hauling in crab traps!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Reel 224

Quote from: Prof. Salt on August 21, 2015, 09:27:03 PM
I've been there ...once. Now my hooks have small barbs so I have a chance to back them out. They hold fish well, but it sure is better for those rare times that I become the bait.

When I was typing the post to you about my son in TX, he called at the same time, I told him what I was saying about his experience when he was a young boy..He laughed and said I didn't tell you what happened to me on fathers day this year? I said No! Why. He said I did the same thing to myself but this time the hook went into my Bicep and I had to push the hook threw to cut the barb and then remove it. He said everyone was saying you better get to the emergency room, he just said. I'm not letting this spoil my Fathers day. Not for nothing, but he is tough, He was doing a remodel on our home and Nailing Floor joist with a Kinematic Nail gun and shot a 10-p twist nail threw the meaty part of his hand below his thumb. He said to my wife where the heck did that nail go, and looked down at his hand and said there it is and pulled it out and started to go back to work. My wife said OH NO YOU DON"T! Your going to the emergency room right now. Of course he listened to her.

Joe   

Dominick

Hey Joe I don't know if you saw this from our last trip.  Wayne took in the ear and he didn't hear it coming. Dominick

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12296.0
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

TomT

On my first trip to Baja as a beach camper/fisherman we had a fish hook incident.  All the gringo fisherman had 12-14' alum boats and launched right off the beach.  These boats had no trailers and were launched thru the surf.  I caught a couple of dorado early so I was back in camp.  I was camped near the beach so I went down to help the guys get their boats out of the surf.  One guy came in and had about a 9/0 hook stuck in the thigh and it was a barbed hook.  I am a retired utility lineman and I had a pair of Kleins--wire cutting pliers for larger wires.  I got those and we cut off the eye of the hook and threaded the other part of the hook out of his leg.  Used some alcohol to sanitize the wound and all was OK.  He was supposed to go to the doctor later, but he didn't.  He had fished for 2-3 hrs after getting the hook in his thigh ::) ::)I'm pretty sure I would have called it a day as soon as the hook went in. ;)
TomT

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on August 22, 2015, 01:17:45 AM
Hey Joe I don't know if you saw this from our last trip.  Wayne took in the ear and he didn't hear it coming. Dominick

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12296.0

That looks like Wayne took a good shot to the head for the team. Dominick you sure are a sympathetic bastard aren't you.  ;D ;D Didn't hear it comin Ha what a comedian.

You guys did catch some nice fish though, wish I had been in shape for that trip. Hey Dominick. Like Sal said got ta love ya.

Joe