there is one true master....... cal sheets!

Started by alantani, January 07, 2011, 05:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

from basil on the hull truth, reprinted without permission.  (figured he would not mind......)

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/324151-cal-sheets-custom-penn-50vsx-supercow-reel.html

Quote from: Basil;3445138Cal Sheets' latest wizardry is the Custom Penn 50VSX Supercow Reel. I've been hearing about the reel for a few months but today one came into my shop for spooling. I was very impressed with the work Cal's 2-Speed has put into this reel.

Most important for me is the increased spool capacity. Besides offering blueprinting for 25-30lb drag at strike, 50lb drag at full, 1:1 low gear and special free-spool bearings, Cal has re-machined the stock spool and frame. The gain is a 25% increase in spectra spool capacity over a stock 50VSX, and a 7oz weight reduction. This reel holds 750 yards 130lb JB hollow spectra with ample room for a typical long-range topshot, a 100-yard increase over the next largest 50 class narrow topless reel that I know of.

After milling out extra material in the spool and frame, the spool is re-anodized with a hard-black finish. Bearing bores are masked beforehand so the size remans the same after anodizing.

The frame is milled out to accommodate line moving on and off of the increased spool width.

Front-view of the reel after line-winding.

Top-view of the reel after line-winding.

There are many other excellent reels available from numerous manufacturers which can all get the job done, out of the box, and we're fortunate to have many choices. This post is not meant to start a debate over which reel is better; they're all good for a variety of reasons. But for long-time fans of Penn and Cal's 2-Speed, this reel caught my eye today so I thought you might like to see it.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phinaddict

I'm always surprised at the number of upgrades that are done to Penn reels.
Kind of like old Chevy muscle cars...but in this case taking an Escalade and going up from there.

"25-30lb drag at strike, 50lb drag at full....and 750 yards of JB Hollow"... my arms hurt just thinking of it.

Eric and Cal definitely are the masters of the game.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Roger

He is definitely the master, that's nice......
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

I would say the force is with him - Cal is the Jedi Master!  ::)

VERY NICE, indeed!!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

"After milling out extra material in the spool and frame, the spool is re-anodized with a hard-black finish."

I find this quote interesting.  This reel is rated as a 50.  Now someone wants to put 130lb Spectra on the reel and increase the drag.  I understand the buildup of the drag system, but I am just wondering after milling out the spool, will the spool have enough strength to hold up to what is more than twice the original drag rating?  I would expect that the spool would warp or even break under the strain.  Is my thinking off?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

cut away enough metal and that will certainly happen.  i would guess that cal did a mock up of a spool and twisted it till it broke to see where it would break.  i know that's what i would do. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!