power or speed handle position?

Started by alantani, January 07, 2011, 07:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/fishing-reels/299864-power-speed-reel-handle-position.html

Quote from: AR15;2113398Which reel handle setting do you prefer in your star drags, the one in the power position or the one in the speed position? All my Daiwas have come from the factory in the speed position and I have just left them there. I am going to try them in the power position soon just to see how that position feels. The following photo will show the reel in the speed position and the slot not used on the handle is the power position.

here's my take.......

in part, i think it depends on your drag setting.  ideally, you would like to be able to crank the handle even when the fish is sulking and won't budge.  this allows you to maintain a maximum flex on the rod and maximum pressure on the fish.  when that rod tip comes up and little and you're resting, remember that HE is resting as well.  if you are using a small star drag reel with a heavy drag setting, you may not be able to crank the handle with the handle bolted down in the short throw "speed" position.  at that point, pretty much everyone works the rod.  here is where you would consider going to the long throw "power" position.  the problem now is that it's a little more hassle to retrive a bait.  but you can have it both ways.  that's where a two speed lever drag reel comes in!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!