Reel advice - mechanical jigging reel and deep drop setup

Started by boon, August 20, 2015, 01:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

After some advice on whether my ideas are sound...

First up I need a reel for mechanical jigging and livebaiting, primarily for Yellowtail Kingfish.
It will be used with 60-80lb braid and accordingly high drag settings - 20-30lb.
At the moment I'm almost settled on the Omoto Triple 12 as I can get one at a very decent price and it will deliver more than the drag I'm looking for.

Second setup I'm putting together will be for deep drops into up to 400m of water for Hapuka (Grouper) and Bass.
Likely to have 60lb braid and needs to hold 550m or so.
This will be going on a Shimano Status bent-butt rod and may occasionally do double duty as a livebait setup.
I'm currently thinking a Shimano TLD25 or similar but would be open to suggestions, maybe something from Avet?

Lever drag preferred.

Thanks for any input!

1Forecon

Omoto 12 Triple- Great reel, bought one a couple months back used it for jigging down in Florida in 100-200ft depths, 6-17 ounce jigs were used. Sad thing was I hooked no fish but handling it all day was a charm. I would change out the rubber handle for a hard plastic one, as the rubber gave me some burn from using all day. Loaded it with 65lb solid braid on top of some 25lb mono(about 50 yards). Drag was preset by scale to 22lbs and it was a very comfortable reel to palm all day.

broschro

Where in Florida did you go? I live in north Florida and can almost always jig up something amberjack aplenty.

Keta

I have an Omoto Triple and have had it apart, they are a strong and well built reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

1Forecon

We went out of Panama City(Queen Fleet), spent all day fishing the exact same marks all within a 1/4mile stretch of territory. He kept hitting up the mushy small mouthed fish and never a grouper or large snapper except one(Red Snapper-8-10#) came over the rail, on a short homeward bound stop of course. I had one really good strike with tooth marks left on the jig and finally gave up and put on some squid on a double dropper on a Daiwa 400 w/60# mono. B-Liner's galore. Gave 'em all away.

That was undoubtedly my last Fl. head boat trip. I've been on 5, the last being the fifth. First three I caught all large fish(largest was a 36lb-8oz,Red Snapper on a whole butterflied lady fish!) and numerous good sized groupers. The last two-same chump change. The next and everyone thereafter will be on my own boat. I was too lazy to rig it up, pick it up at my father-in-laws(storage) and haul it down and back, never again.

Granted, I was targeting larger, quality fish(butterfly jigging) but the skipper had his eye on fuel conservation and filling the boxes with B-Liners(Vermillion) that were just over 10" minimum length and great tourist fodder. Not even one donkey all day! I fished the whole water column and even switched from fast to slow, plastic, etc..

Uggh!