Upgrading Penn Senators

Started by xaf, August 25, 2015, 10:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

I have 6 Penn Senator 113H's and a couple 114H's that I have not used in quite some time. I used them mainly for bottom fishing for big grouper. I want to clean them up and start using them again.  While I am cleaning them up and repairing them I figured I might as well up grade them as well. I guess I basically want to turn them into "tanks".  I have tried reading through the various threads on upgrades to stainless steel parts, double dogging, changing the drags etc. but am having trouble sorting it all out and have a few questions.   I'm hoping someone that is familiar with the process could answer a few questions.

1.  What stainless parts are available, what parts need to be upgraded and where can they be obtained?
2.  What is the actual advantage of double dogs? How much of a project is it to put in double dogs?  Is there one thread that explains the process on how to do it?
3.  What is the advantage of the octagonal drag inserts?  and where can they be obtained.

Any other information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Shark Hunter

That is a tall order Bob.
As far as upgrading the 113 and 114H. The Sky is the limit.
I would just start with a basic drag upgrade of your reels. A 5 stack kit is available from Mystic Reel Parts.
Double dogging a reel takes a little time and a dremel, but the average guy can do it if he is good with a wrench.
In the for sale section on the forum, you can find whatever you need.
If you really want to persue all the upgrades available. It will dig deep in your pockets for 6 reels.
Stainless sleeves are roughly $40 each from Alan Tani, Bryan Young or even Black Pearl.
Stainless gear sets are also from Black Pearl and are around $70 each.
The Hex drag kits will produce a lot more drag than stock, but Adam of Motive fabrication makes some nice insert kits that will give you the same results and you won't have to cut your own drags.
Then you will need extra dogs and springs to do the double dog upgrade.
Keta makes some fine replacement stainless dogs at a great price.
This will be no one stop shop, but we can help you through it if you want to try it. ;)
Browse the Senator Forum for double dogging. Its not that hard.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Rothmar2

I think we need a permanent sticky in the Senator Section, one that remains at the top of the list, with a FAQ re. Senator upgrades.

ie. "How do I modify the right side plate to make room for double dogs?"

Then hyperlink the appropriate thread(s) pages  after the question so people can go straight to it.
Sal put some good photos up of this in the initial tank thread I recall.

"Where do I purchase a 5+1 drag kit?"

Links to those that have them for sale.

Etc etc.

Would take a while to collate, but would save a lot of time in the long run.

Just a thought.

Keta

I have a pile of 15-113H dogs and some 15-114H dogs in stock but if you get your gear sleeves from Alan order them from him as a set.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Quote from: Rothmar2 on August 26, 2015, 01:47:40 AM
I think we need a permanent sticky in the Senator Section, one that remains at the top of the list, with a FAQ re. Senator upgrades.

ie. "How do I modify the right side plate to make room for double dogs?"

Then hyperlink the appropriate thread(s) pages  after the question so people can go straight to it.
Sal put some good photos up of this in the initial tank thread I recall.

"Where do I purchase a 5+1 drag kit?"

Links to those that have them for sale.

Etc etc.

Would take a while to collate, but would save a lot of time in the long run.

Just a thought.

Agreed.

Think it has taken me a year of perusing posts (along with trial and error) to get comfortable upgrades. Not a complaint.

Shark Hunter

Here is one by Sal and the first double dogging of a 114H.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3077.0
If you want to tank out a 113H. Here is a picture all the parts. This is a lot to do at once and it is a personal preference how far you want to take it.

Tiburon frame. I just happened to get this standard width from Bryan.
Black Pearl heat treated gears.
Stainless yoke available from Dawn at Smooth Drag.
Insert kit and Handle Arm from Adam at Motive Fabrication.
I got the handle and sleeve from Alan Tani.
Stainless dogs from Keta.
My donor reel was a 113HL that already had the aluminum spool.

Life is Good!

xaf

Thank you so much for the information.  I forgot to mention that I had already upgraded the frames and handles.  So i guess the relatively easy part is already done.  Time to start on the innards.

BOB

AlasKen

Sharkhunter, Great response that answered the question I was going to ask.  I have read most if not all the double dog threads and tank threads some going back almost 5 years.  It is nice to see one set of options in one place.  Ken 

Shark Hunter

You are welcome Bob and Ken.
You guys or anyone else have any Senator questions. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
If I don't know the Answer, My Man Sal will. ;)
Life is Good!