Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, January 08, 2011, 06:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

1st time ive seen this,i think
dont you just love them spring loaded dogs
like to see dogs+ratchet together
cheers

Reinaard van der Vossen

Dominick, yeah I love that kind of bycatch but I would have loved to catch it :)

It was adrenalin pure. Epic fight as long as it lasted. I don't know how large the fish was but it should not have been broken with the drags used .

I have the rod delivered to the shop maybe there  is some guarantee.

Nevertheless, I will be looking for a new rod. Maybe a pinnacle marine 20 - 50 lbs or a selfbuild on a nice high pe rating jigging blank.

I think most reels in this size would have had troubles with this kind of runs, apart from the top reels maybe. It was a good buy at least ;)

Reinaard van der Vossen

I opened up the reel and unfortunately must say that I have found some damage to a plastic part, probably due to heat build up.

It looks like the black plastic cover over the drag plate has seen too much heat. I will post pictures later.

The reel was not hot on the outside but it looks like this black plastic cover contains the heat that is generated by the drag plate.

THe dragplate itself looks fine and is not blue or brown or shows any signs of being hetate too much, just the plastic cover. All other parts seem fine too.

Ok, so a little 16 size reel should maybe not be the first choice for big bluefins who take more than 400 meters of line off the spool several times ;D
Gee, I think I could have guessed that. Still I think we could have taken the fish if the rod did'n break.

by the way: The broken rod is replaced by Penn. Not the same rod, I now got a penn rampage 30-50 in travel form. I think I will pair  the penn rod with a different reel and go for a higher quality rod for this reel

Reinaard van der Vossen

Pictures of the plastic cover, drag plate and carbon drag disc

The drag plate and carbon disc seem fine. The drag plate does not seem to be overheated. The drag functioned fine up to the moment where the rod and the line broke.

That is different for the plastic cover. It looks like this one did get too much heat. It doesnt fit very well anymore either

I will try to order a new cover and have asked Omoto Taiwan if there is a dealer in Europe

handi2

I use the Triangle HD-140 heavy duty line winder in my shop. It will spool the 8 strand braid I buy online with enough tension for our Gulf of Mexico fishing. I have to stop for a while and take a break b/c that is a lot of tension even using the electric line winder.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL