line on a makaira

Started by mak1, August 29, 2015, 04:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mak1

how much momoi 30lb can I fit on the makaira 16 and also the 20 if spooled with only mono
thanks

SoCalAngler

MarkT

Per Okumas site the 16 is rated at 500/30 (.55mm) and the 20 at 660/30. Vast overkill for fishing 30#! I use the 16 for 80-100# and the 20 for 100-130#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mak1

I will be using it on charter boat trips for porbegal sharks much like salmon sharks in around 100m of water I have a makaira 15 spooled with 80lb spider wire  but when drifting baits back all skippers want us to use braid I love my 15 but need something bigger to spool with all mono

I have had 400m of .022" Berkley big game on one 15 so that's more than stated from okuma
Is the momoi accurate in its diameters and strength

mak1

hi just remember we are spooling top to bottom for porbegal sharks up to 450lb

mak1

hi can anyone show me the size of a 16 and 20 with something to scale it to as ill have to buy mail order as this is anot a uk stocked reel
thanks for the help so far lads

SoCalAngler

I don't have either reels but have played around with the 20's. Think of the 20 size as close to a 30 sized reel like a Penn 30II VSX, Shimano TLD 30II, Avet 30II ect.

Edit:30 lb test for sharks up to 450 lbs, that's got to be fun.

mak1

thanks for that Mal B.
CAN Anyone help with the dimensions for the makaira 16

mak1

hi
I have mxl raptors at the min but every skipper we go shark fishing with wants us to use all mono as we often get 3 or 4 hook ups at once. so need a larger reel for the amount of mono needed.
I have a mak 15sea and love the feel of it but I am open to ideas as we do not use things this size much whats the pros and cons of them both that you have found
for me its the fact I can get a makaira 60 for £350 from my local shop but im looking at mail order for the larger avets work out just a little more