FISHING HOT-WEATHER HOT AND HUMID IN CABO

Started by Dominick, August 29, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I have never been in Baja in August.  I always heard that it is hot and humid during the month.  Anyway some neighbors booked the trip because of kids school schedule.  I decided to go for a couple of days of fishing.  I only fished one day because the forecast was wind and rain.  Indeed one of the days the wind came up and you could see the white caps and rain squalls out on the water.  I was down there August 22 to the 27th.  The last day I could fish was Wednesday the 26th which had zero chance of wind.  Now for the report on the fishing.

The morning of fishing the day started out 82 degrees at 5:30 a.m.  The morning was still and we had a glorious sunrise. 

Meet Dave and Donna my fishing buddies for the day.  I had fill in flash and still got shadows.

We left the dock at 6:40 a.m. and waited for the bait boats to bring us some live sardines.  The bait boats were having difficulty getting enough sardines for all the charters.  The sardines they were getting were tiny.  The bait boat finally showed up.

Here is Dave showing the size of the sardines.  Also clowning that this was his catch.

Here is Donna mimicking Dave clowning about the catch.  You gotta love Sicilians.

After loading up on these tiny sardines we stopped a ways up the coast for Chihuil a bait fish referred to by Americans as "Chilly Willies."  I didn't get any pictures because the action was fast and furious as we caught a Chihuil with each drop.  After about 20 minutes of non-stop chilly willy action we moved on to Imam Banks which is northeast of Cabo.  Both Dave an Donna are first time fishers so I offered that they choose for first fish.  It was agreed by them that Dave would get first fish.  We chummed with some dead sardines and dropped a chilly willy in the water.  Bam 20 seconds in the water and the rod with the tank goes off.  Dave started fighting the fish.

Dave did well for a newbie.

Like I mentioned it was hot and humid. After about 20 minutes and pouring water on the tank to cool the star Dave's energy started to wane.  Here is Donna helping to lift the fish.  At this point we did not know how big a Tuna we were working. 

Dave could not go any longer so he handed over the pole to me.  He did a great job holding up as long as he could.  We finally got the fish to gaff.  It was a yellow fin tuna somewhere between 50 and 60 lbs.  it felt bigger than that.  Dave could hardly hold it up for the pictures.

Donna caught a small Dorado but it was a big fish in her eyes.  We had double on but lost the other.
Ya gotta love those Sicilians.

At some point Mr. Seal showed up and must have thought Alan Tani was on the boat.  So it took advantage of our catch.

Here is a photo of the days catch. 

I forgot to mention that Wayne (el Pescador) gave me 2 Columbia fishing shirts (extra large) and a cutting/pliers tool to donate to some "deserving Mexicano."  Here is a picture of Pablo with the gift.  Thanks Wayne.  I did not get photos of guys who got the shirts.

Here is a photo of our biggest tuna on the cutting table.

I forgot to mention that except for the drags heating up the Tank worked flawlessly.  I am having a small problem after that fight in that the clicker is stiff moving the button on and off.  Also the eccentric lever is not smooth.  It resists flipping it back and forth.  I will take it apart sometime next week an see what the problem is.  If I can't figure it out I will send it back to Sal for a diagnosis.  I have to check with Sal to see it I am still in the warranty period.  I had a lot of fun that day.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Great narrative, great photos, excellent catch!

But... no Speedos?   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Reel 224

Looks like a good day on the water Dominick and some nice fish to go with it. When you get to taking your reel apart, look at the pinion yoke and the Eccentric jack, that could be your problem...binding. So flip the Pinion yoke and make sure there is plenty of lube on the two The pinion yoke and the Eccentric jack. I had a problem with mine at first and took the reel apart, flipped the yoke over so the good side was facing up and then after putting it together I worked the Eccentric lever back and forth at least a few dozen cycles to make sure it was worked in. Try that it may work for you.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

BMITCH

Dominick, your livin large...thanks for sharing!
luck is the residue of design.

handi2

We have caught Tuna in that size and I tell you it's a fight..!! They fight to the very end and then start the death spiral.

Great job on catching with a reel that size. We had one like that right at the boat, ready to gaff, and the welded split ring broke...!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Great report my friend. As I mentioned earlier, you have a lifetime warranty on that reel. Dominick, if you don't mind, I would really like to open it up, this is the very first time trying the new inserts and I would really like to take a close look.
About the clicker, this is the second time. The problem might be caused by me, I have many parts and probably the clicker is too short. Send the reel over and in the mean time, I will get a new clicker assembly from Scott.
I hope your friends realize how famous they are from using the original Tank ;D.
Thanks for the report buddy.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Great report!  Looks like a fun day on the water, made even better by getting to tangle with mr. Yellowfin.  Great to hear the tank is still getting it done.  That longer rod, makes it a little more work to raise the fish.  You would probably be better off with a fully rollers International 5'6" stand up or similar IMHO.  I am awaiting photos of the final product (i.e. the prepared tuna).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

Great trip report and looks like everyone had a blast. It is very sad that the arthritis prevents you from using buttons. ;D

Dominick

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 29, 2015, 08:39:51 PM
Great report!  Looks like a fun day on the water, made even better by getting to tangle with mr. Yellowfin.  Great to hear the tank is still getting it done.  That longer rod, makes it a little more work to raise the fish.  You would probably be better off with a fully rollers International 5'6" stand up or similar IMHO.  I am awaiting photos of the final product (i.e. the prepared tuna).
We had some sashimi and sushi last night and I forgot to take pictures.  Next time I will.

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 29, 2015, 09:10:15 PM
Great trip report and looks like everyone had a blast. It is very sad that the arthritis prevents you from using buttons. ;D

Good one Dwight.   ;D ;D ;D Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 29, 2015, 08:18:12 PM
Great report my friend. As I mentioned earlier, you have a lifetime warranty on that reel. Dominick, if you don't mind, I would really like to open it up, this is the very first time trying the new inserts and I would really like to take a close look.
About the clicker, this is the second time. The problem might be caused by me, I have many parts and probably the clicker is too short. Send the reel over and in the mean time, I will get a new clicker assembly from Scott.
I hope your friends realize how famous they are from using the original Tank ;D.
Thanks for the report buddy.

Sal
I'll get it into the mail ASAP.  Dominick

Steve-O

Love the pics and great report!  Have yet to tangle with a tuna, but it seems they have more steam than a locomotive and not the fight I would expect from a fish that size. Guess I need to tie one on for myself next summer.

El Pescador

Book the Tuna Trip in Cabo Steve-O!

In fact, let's the three of us get on a calendar date and all meet in Los Cabos!

Dominick and I have fished on 5 trips now, and TUNA is my #1 quarry!

Caught Marlin, they are 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours of your time, but for hard fighting its Tuna for me!  And to enjoy BBQ'd Tuna with friends & family when I return, well, it don't get any better that that!!!!

Put this on your check list...  Fighting belt!  If you ask Dave how he's feeling, I know he would answer "I'll take a fighting belt next time!!!!"

Dominick, THANK YOU for giving away the few items I asked you to distribute to the local Mexican fisherman - so much appreciate that gesture.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: Steve-O on August 29, 2015, 10:45:08 PM
Love the pics and great report!  Have yet to tangle with a tuna, but it seems they have more steam than a locomotive and not the fight I would expect from a fish that size. Gues I need to tie one on for myself next summer.
I have fought a couple of Tuna in the 50-60lb range and they are tough fights.  One Tuna I fought for over 40 minutes and never got to see it before it broke off.  The line broke at the hook.  I am tentatively returning Oct. 13-20, 2015.  Any AT members interested I'll give you a breakdown for the cost of the trip over and above airfare.  Dominick

Tightlines667

This cheaper Braid 'Sailfish' belt has served me well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I have been waiting for your report Dominick.
Looks like the Tank does it again!
Good Job and Kudos to your new friends. ;D

Life is Good!