A little double dog input...

Started by coastal_dan, August 29, 2015, 07:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

I have the PC DD bridge installed in my 501...wasn't sure if anyone else noticed the second dog disengaging if the you manually disengage the primary dog?  I noticed using it on the last trip a slight grinding feel when I would pull up on the rod underload.  I didn't think much of it at the time but now (after hernia surgery) I have some time to take a look.  My concern is that if the first dog fails the second has to engage.  But under load it is popping free...I took three pictures, I'll try for a video once my wife gets home...thoughts?

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

PS -so far it has not failed!  I really like it so far, just hoping it's user error not product error :)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Alto Mare

Hello Don, I hope you're doing ok after surgery.
When you mention that the second dog disengages after disengaging the primary dog, do you mean wile the gear in set in place with drags and star? Put everything back on and repeat the test, I bet the dogs won't go anywhere.
Other things to take in consideration, maybe the dog was a little off during assembly, or the washer for under the gear is not of the correct size.
I know that i've sent you some washers, it is still possible that that washer for under the gear is a little off.

By the way, both dogs would come off if I spin the sleeve without placing the gear on top, those were not designed to work without the full assembly.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Thanks for the concern Sal, surgery Thursday afternoon now just dealing with the soreness.  I was told Manhattans and oxycodone don't mix so currently sticking to water, haha.

I'll re-grease and reassemble and see what we get.  All clearances look right on.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Shark Hunter

Take it easy after your surgery Dan. I've never had a Hernia, but it makes me cringe to think about it.
I have had two co workers who recently had double and triple hernia surgery! Jesus!
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Dan; Something that I noticed in the second picture of the bridge assembly and DD system, the secondary dog angle at the end where it contacts the gear sleeve gear is not angled enough to hold in the engaged position, it looks like if it were angled a bit more back to the shoulder or at the top of the dog it would stay engaged.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Well all reassembled and when you pull back on the handle a bit the secondary dog does disengage.  Joe you may be onto it, I may need to file a bit to get it just right; or increase the spring tension.  Sorry no pics this time, I wasn't able to take decent enough shots.  The primary engages perfectly FYI, so it only comes into play if that one would ever fail...I'll spend some more time on it tomorrow.  Thanks all.

Daron - yeah it stinks, supposedly the Doc said I've had it for a long time but it just got bad about 5 months ago.  They seem pretty common, but still darn uncomfortable!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Reel 224

Dan; I don't know if you are familiar with the sear on a trigger but it is similar to the engagement on the dog and gear sleeve of a reel. In the case of the trigger and sear engagement if that angle is off or to flat it will cause the sear to double fire or not engage at all, well that is what I think is happening in the case you are dealing with on the dog and gear sleeve, going on the picture that I was looking at but it could be deceiving. You will be able to see that much better when you take it apart tomorrow.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Black Pearl

Try to replace the spring with the Penn original dog spring.

PacRat

I'm with Joe on this. I always do a little smithing on my dogs to ensure the most positive engagement possible. This means parallel engagement surfaces at the tip of the dog. Sometime I will also take a little off the inside of the dog so that it will drop into the ratchet cog a little deeper.
-Mike

Ron Jones

To be honest, I had the same concern when I first got my DD bridges from Alan C. What I did is assemble the reel with only one dog. I did this with both dogs and AR worked perfectly. I don't know how much of an advantage the DD is, but I KNOW that the SS bridge from Alan C is nicer than stock and makes my Albacore Specials run super smooth, especially with all the other goodies. I love them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Reel 224

I just rebuilt the entire interior workings of a jigmaster 500 with Pro Challengers SS DD bridge as well as SS gear sleeve,SS main gear and pinion. I experienced no problem with the working of the DD system. I haven't fished that reel yet but as far as how it works now, I can see no problems with the dogs. The whole Idea of the DD system as I see it, is to give the reel an added backup and strength to hold the higher drag settings that people are looking for. Some times when things are modified for performance we as builders have to tweak them here and there and this should be expected....it's part of the game and half of the fun of doing these things.

Joe   

Reel 224

Reel 224

Quote from: MeL B on August 31, 2015, 02:35:53 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on August 31, 2015, 02:24:30 PM
??? :-\  Joe

Joe, in the computer software industry e.g. microsoft has staff to test the latest software/s and after some suit it's ready for the next staqe of testing they will past it to some mainstream "users" for testing and they are called betas, hope this clears it up...:)

Clear as mud ;D ;D

Joe

coastal_dan

Replaced the spring and it is better, but when I disengage the primary dog by hand you still can see the other dog slip under fairly heavy hand applied pressure as I turn it against the secondary dog (it takes more pressure with the longer stock spring).  I'll attempt to file the edge on the dog a bit.

Sal, as I read your post again, the dogs do not pop up off of the post or slide up it, it's that the dog pushes back on the spring.  At least that's what its doing for me  :D

Again, this only applies with the secondary dog, the primary worked great and I was using about 15 lbs of drag catching +/- 10 lb fish in 300' of water.  So far I'm happy with the parts, especially for the price.  I'm just not sure if the secondary dog would save a fish in its current form.

I'll take her down again and see what happens.

Thanks all!
Dan from Philadelphia...